BIOS / Hyper threading questions - Newbie

Jennifer A Kay

Can anyone help me, I am installing the Gimp on my work computer and am running into trouble. It tells me that if I disable hyper threading or upgrade my BIOS that will fix the problem. I am unsure how to access the device manager to access the BIOS in the first place. I speak some techie, but this one is new territory for me. Any assistance would be great, at a beginner's level, maybe... *I saw someone else on here asking about hyper threading, but the answer was too advanced for my case, I simply need to know WHERE the BIOS is located or the Device Manager even...

Thanks!

Skate Rat Betty

Jen

The BIOS is accessed right when you turn your computer on. They are the lowest level of settings you can configure. If you see Windows booting up, then you've missed your chance.

If it's an HP or Dell, usually it's 'F2'...if it's a standard PC then it's normally the 'Del' key.

Reply back with make and model of your computer and I'm sure we can figure it out.

Never heard of GIMP throwing a fit because of Hyperthreading being enabled. That sounds rather funky to me. I had GIMP 2.4 or whatever the latest version is installed on my machine no prob and I have a Dell Inspiron XPS and that has an Intel proc!

I downloaded the Gimp 2.2.8 version.. The 2.4 version is only available to me as a source code. But I got the gimp up and running after disabling hyper threads. This will work for now. I found an old copy of Photoshop, when I download that I will just uninstall Gimp.... Was just looking for a way to circumnavigate buying photoshop!