Selective Windows Services by User

eriku

I want to load certain services by which user is logged in. Is there an app or batch file someone has that will do this?

Basically, my laptop is for development, so I have Databases, CVS, IIS, ASP.NET and all sorts of network crap running in the background. I have a user I created for playing Warcraft :), but when I log in with this user I want the services to be turned off to save resources.

Anyone have any other idea besides dual boot?

I dont use win xp for now on, but I remember that, one can create different hardware profiles. Right click my computer an open properties. Goto to hardware tab and you'll see harware profiles. Just copy the "profile 1". Select profile 2 and click properties. Select the option "Always include this profile as an option when windows starts".

Then goto services, double-click the service you want to disable for second hardware profile, goto to 'Log On' tab and disable it for second profile. Now you will have an option on start up, to select and boot with desired hardware profile.

Hope it is what you want...

Well I gave it a try and it worked just like I needed. I was hoping for a runtime solution but this is just as great.

As a summary: Allow a user to specify which services load depending on which user is logged in. While this wasn't the solution, Adding a profile allows the system to prompt user with a selection at startup (or reboot). This will load services for all users depending on your selection. Combing this with msconfig or spybot's startup tool, you can log into one user with a certain profile and have almost no services or startup apps loaded, then reboot and select the second profile and log into the other user with all service started and full startup apps.

It's nice for gamers who want a super slim windows enviroment sometimes, but need all the junk running for work or normal usage.

Here is a batch file example

@echo off
set tostop=servicename1 servicename2 servicename3
for %%? in (%tostop%) do sc query %%?|find /i "4 running" >nul&&sc stop %%?

Just make a space delimited list of all the services you wish to turn off like the examples 'servicename1 servicename2 servicename3'. Make sure that the names are the 'Service Names' as opposed to the 'Display Names'

Edited by Yzöwl