vbs script not running through firewall

chilifrei64

Here is the deal. I have a network with All windows XP Pro (some 64bit but that is not a problem). All computers have SP2 with the firewall enabled(my choice)

What rules would i have to create to allow me to run a vb script from the server to gather information from the remote machines registry (remote registry service is enabled) If i turn the firewall off, it works. On it does not.. I have 1 win2k machine and it has no firewall and it works. so it is definately the firewall. Any ideas?

and please dont tell me to turn off the firewall.. that is not what I am looking for.

Edited by chilifrei64

I know this is for WMI, but this has a nice little bit about mid-way down...something about allow remote administration for the windows firewall. It's a GPO too, so it should be easy enough to impliment.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....ws_firewall.asp

Otherwise I have no idea...good luck!

Edited by InTheWayBoy

I can tell you it IS the firewall, since I know what you are trying to do. I have ran into this problem before. I choose to disable the windows firewall locally on all my XP SP 2 machines on the domain, mainly becuase I already maintain a firewall for the entire network, which means that all that M$'s firewall does is occaisionally prevent me from administrating my network the way I like (as in the example you gave).

Edited by TheFlash428

Yes it is definately the firewall.. I am looking for a way around it since i do not want to disable it on the client machines.. even the measly windows firewall will help stop a virus outbreak on a network...

I applied a GPO as the article above stated.. I am yet to test it though.. i will post back with feedback when i get a chance to test it