WinXP SP2 and nForce2 tweaker

trodas

Curse the **** SP2, curse them!!!

First - there you can download nForce2 tweaker, a usefull (highly) tool for professional (do NOT tweak if you don't know what you are doing!!!) overclockers:

http://forum.abit-usa.com/attachment.php?postid=379291

It does run on any chipset, just don't try the button Set, please.

As you can see, it is a zip archive and containing the IO.DLL file. Nothing wrong with it, just copy it to the system32 directory and it will run - except you are running on the damned XP SP2 crap.

Win2k SP2/3 and WinXP SP1 run fine, but SP2 complain:

IO.DLL_permission.gif

Well, Im admin and why in the name of God I can't run normal software, that is beyond my understanding. Can anyone enlighten me, how to make THIS work?

I understand that it probably require some tweaking of the security settings, but hey - what to do? I don't like the idea of installing XP SP1 just to make it work, so I hope someone can help me to archive the goal quicker.

Thanks for helpfull responses - and if some explaination WHY this is happening will be done - the better.

PS. I tried register the dll:

regsvr32 \windowns\system32\IO.DLL

...but it does not work/help at all...

Help???

• 1 month later...

Whoa! :w00t:

When I tried to copy the io.dll into windows/system32 it won't go well (eg. I getting the errors), but hey, now it works! Thanks a hell lot of for this simple yet very powerfully hint!!! :thumbup

(me feel stupid now :blushing: )

Okay, not for long. I log in, put the io.dll into windows dir, run tweaker - surprisingly no error message about "enable to extract IO.SYS (io.sys, not io.dll!!!) for the first time, so I tought everything is green and supergreen and I set my settings as startup settings, reboot and long it again - and again the **** error message was on screen :( For christ sake with the SP2 crap!

Edited by trodas

I hear that it might be something like:

"SP2 guards system files more rigorously. MS calls it 'Data Execution Prevention'. That could account for your problem. You can create an exception on a file by file basis, but you can't turn it off. XP and XP-SP1 don't have the DEP security feature."

...but a solution, how to disable the protection for the file is still need. Anyone??? :blushing:

• 2 weeks later...

Done, set the /noexecute=AlwaysOff into the Boot.ini, however the problem persist.

Still is says that IO.SYS is present, but the driver cannot connect to and EPrivilege :no:

**** with this stuff. So, it is reinstall of the SP2 crap the only one solution? Already it survived a vires attack, so the SP2 has some advantages, after all... XP SP1.0a machines as well, as w2k ones get infected :(

• 1 month later...

WinXP SP2is just plain crap, IMHO. The problem is, that reinstalling the machine means that it stop folding for a while, and that is out of question ATM, due to massive race :( So, a XP SP2 solution will still come handy...

Or maybe I could live with anything else, that can change the advanced timings and the latency things as nForce2 tweaker do, run on startup fine and did not cause any problems ;)

I mean mainly these:

nForce2_tweaker_wanted.gif

Possibility to select even lower latency timings (as low as 0) will be even better, as the machine have absolutely NOTHING to do with any graphic or PCI devices and all speed is put to the folding AND lower latency improve the speed of CPU a lot :) (hexus PI benches, for example)