I need a little guidance with winpe

aspenjim

I have a MS Action Pack subscription and finally got around to installing OPK tools and would like to tackle learning to install XP with winpe. I went through the setupmgr and ended up with the OPK directory and a floppy with winbom.ini. I followed the directions on MS's OEM site about how to make a boot cd. I successfully made a bootable cd, but don't know what to do from there.

Information on the internet and even this site is pretty sketchy on this subject.

I'd like to do all of this with virtual pc, so I don't have to tie up several PC's to understand how this all works.

I'm also not quite understanding the concept of "master PC" and "technician PC"

any help would be greatly appreciated. It's too bad there isn't a powerpoint or flash tutorial somewhere out there on the internet that would demistify this.

aj

A little. MS tends to make their help file technical enough that it makes you feel you need a degree from MIT to sort out the technical jargon. I even find that out trying to slipstream service pack into products like Office. They are always using every possible variable possible.

Simple minds need simple instructions.... LOL

I realize that the OPK is highly proprietary and not meant for the general public. I eventually learned how to do Oem Preinstallation for Win98 and you had to follow every step to the "T".

I'm shooting for a Small Business Certification and this is one of the required electives to Master. They also offer 3 day instructor led classes, but the closest one to Colorado is in Illinois or Cali. I'm near Denver.

I'll sit down and sort it out using the CHM files (hopefully).

Maybe I'll write a guide for this Website on the subject as a return contribution.

With everything related to MS software, once you get through the verbage, it's usually pretty simple. I can also post to MS's OEM forums and prolly get quick and straight answers.

AJ