RAM Disk

Ahmed-26

Hello There,

Please i want to know what is the RAM Disk? All i know that you can boot from PXE network adapter and then it contacts the DHCP and TFTP servers for TCP/IP information and image boot file.

Thanks

Regards,

Ahmed

Edited by Ahmed-26

As far as your explanation I'm not sure about booting from a PXE network, but it would seem possible. Boot, receive the boot image off a network and continue to boot up. Actually sounds like a very good idea! I just know that all data is lost once the power is turned off from the machine. RAM disks can also be as much as a 1000 times faster than a standard HD.

Thanks guys for your support but i have more 2 questions related to this windows PE.

Is windows PE just like BartPe? and in case if i don't want to install RIS , can i use BartPe or windows PE without RIS?

Thanks

BartPE is just like WinPE. It's a reverse engineered (questionably licensed) version. Booting one is the same as booting the other. If you don't have the latest verion of WinPE (or BartPE) but you want to PXE boot, you need RIS. If you have the latest version, you can use RIS or any othe PXE server - but you still need some sort of PXE server if you want to boot WinPE from the network.