Icon.exe

FortyTwo

Everytime I boot my laptop, which has onboard WiFi, i get the error "Icon.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close".

Im confident this is not the spyware that keeps coming up in google searches for Icon.exe as I run a battery of anti spyware apps and AV.

can anyone tell me what Icon.exe is and how I can repair it if possible.

Okay, ive done a bit of routing about and found the following info which brings me back to my original thought that this is a legitimate application connected to the WiFi. It has the same Icon which used to appear in the sys tray for the WiFi connection - that doesnt show anymore and thats when the problem started.

the info Ive found is:

Location1: C:\windows\system32\drivers

Location2: C:\pnp\other\scroll

File description: Icon application for Wireless

File Version: 1.4.0.31

Copright: 2004-2007

File size: 212kb

I did wonder how it could be malware as Im very careful, also the apps I run have upto date def files and the icon.exe malware is recognised on their respective websites, meaning that the def files should know about this pest. As they didnt identify it on my system it led me to believe this is not the offending pest that is mentioned but a legitimate application connected to the WiFi.

So where now I wonder??

ps: sorry if this is now the wrong forum for this. I originally thought Icon.exe was an integral part of XP.