Reinstalling ICS after installing windows

Franko

hey guys, I recently created a windows installation that did not include Internet Connection Sharing (disabled using nlite) because it's part of a network with a smoothwall router. Is it possible for me to reinstall ICS without reinstalling windows?

• 9 months later...

*big bump to a flat-out ignored thread*

Everything Windows Setup does is done in a series of INF script executions. I need some help with this too.

I want to get back one of two things:

Either 1) Connection bridging (says "an unexpected error occurred"), which may not work even if I did have it installed, or 2) Internet Connection Sharing.

Preferrably before my TiVo completely runs out of guide data to use. =P

What INF does nLite remove/disable/tweak to cut Internet Connection Sharing (service) out of the mix? From there I can probably figure out myself how to install it... :P

Okay, I got Bridge reinstalled but it's only half working... it creates the bridge but says "a network cable is unplugged". I'll figure somethin' out, I'm sure...

<.<

Just goes to show that you CAN reinstall components. Once I get it working perfect, I'll post how I did it. :P

Alright, I got Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) / Windows Firewall fully restored. =)

1) Extract netrass.inf from the CD (netrass.in_ -> netrass.inf). Place on desktop as well as %systemroot%\inf (overwrite old one).

2) Comment out the "ExcludeFromSelect" line.

3) Extract alg.exe from the CD to %systemroot%\system32.

4) Check that the following files exist in %systemroot%\system32\drivers: ipfltdrv.sys, ipinip.sys, ipnat.sys, and in %systemroot%\system32: firewall.cpl (from CD), ipadmin.dll, ipnathlp.dll.

5) Go to any connection's properties, and under the protocols/services section, click Add. Click Service. Navigate to your desktop's copy of netrass.dll, click OK. Select Steelhead, click OK.

6) After installation is completed (should have no errors), go to Regedit. Browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost

7) Under the REG_MULTI_SZ entry "netsvcs" (NOT the key), add the following line: "Sharedaccess" (no quotes).

8) Restart your computer.

It should now be working and you should have Windows Firewall back in your control panel (it's actually enabled as of step 5, but not controllable until Step 8, as I found by error!) and Internet Connection Sharing is now possible once again.

Enjoy!

edit: In my tweaking and figuring, I may have overlooked a step. Please let me know if anyone has any problems restoring using this method. :P

edit: Credit to here for the tip on enabling the Sharedaccess serivce.

Edited by Falcon4