Disable Security Warning on silent install

Rosebud6

I was searching around and found some tidbits from multiple users. Props to Lucius Snow for my starting point. I use WPI for my installs and was having trouble getting the security warning to stop coming up on my unattended install. This is how i fixed it:

Run This one before you install the software that gives you the "Security warning" (IE Spybot, Adaware)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations]
"LowRiskFileTypes"=".exe;.bat;.com;.cmd;.reg;.msi;.htm;.html;.gif;.bmp;.jpg;.avi;.mpg;.mpeg;.mov;.mp3;.m3u;.wav;"

(Can modify the file extension to only do the type of file you want to install In the "LowRiskFileTypes" part of the key. IE. if they are just .exe's that are giving the prompt then just use "LowRiskFileTypes"=".exe;")

Run after the problem software is installed to delete the entry.

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations]

Hope this helps everyone that was running into the same problems i was.

I tested this on a fresh VMWare install, up-to-date patches/SP.

UPDATE: Cant seem to get this to work if i run it from inside of WPI. So it has to be run first then install programs as usual from WPI. If i run it from WPI, It makes the registry entries but wont allow the programs to install unless i restart the WPI Install.

Anyone have any ideas how to make it work from with in WPI?

Edited by Rosebud6

Ok got a work around.

Create run.bat

add:

REM runs the registry entry
regedit /S %systemdrive%\install\CWS_REMOVAL\DIS_SECWARN.reg
REM Start WPI and wait for its end
start /wait %windir%\system32\mshta.exe "%systemdrive%\install\WPI Master\wpi.hta"

It adds the registy entry then starts WPI. and then installs the "Problem Software" with no security warning.

Then (to reverse the changes) i added "Enable Security Warning" install in WPI with:

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations]

Works like a charm now. :thumbup

Edited by Rosebud6

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations]"LowRiskFileTypes"=".exe;.bat;.com;.cmd;.reg;.msi;.htm;.html;.gif;.bmp;.jpg;.avi;.mpg;.mpeg;.mov;.mp3;.m3u;.wav;"

Ummm this tweak is already part of the startup for WPI now.

I know im a newbie but it must not be working correctly, cuz it does not add the key in the registry, and it does not disable the .exe security warning. The only time i can get the security warning to not come up is to run the .reg file before starting WPI. Unless im missing something.

Edited by Rosebud6