CSRSS.exe taking 100% of CPU

Bongo

Hi all,

Unfortunately I have this user where the process csrss.exe is taking eating up whatever is left of the processor, so it's always running at 100%.

Now I browsed google abit and I tried all of the suggested solutions.

I tried Microsoft solution of deleting the user's profile. I did a virus scan and an adaware scan (came up with nothing). He did a windows system restore (didn't do anything). I tried to stop a strange process but it didn't change anything. I went throught all of the processes that was on his computer one by one and they are all ok. He's a developper so reinstalling his computer should be the last case scenario and also he has many softwares installed, making changes complex and sensitive.

Now I noticed that logging on as the local administrator did the same thing, csrss.exe taking up all of the ressources. Then I logged on my domain user account, for the first time on his computer. At first it was normal. But when I relogged on to my account on his computer, it went back to csrss.exe taking up all of the ressources. So this leads me to believe that it's not a hardware issue.

Any ideas? I'm stumped! :wacko:

@ trickytwista,

Thanks for the suggestion, but as I noted on my initial post, I have already read and tried that solution. I read most of the applicable googled documentation that I found on the subject. Which is why I am posting this request for help, because I have been unable to find a solution online or to fix the problem myself. So I am reaching out to other :hello: . If anybody has had this problem and found the solution, sharing it would be a great value.

Thanks

Solution!

Hi all, so the solution was found.

What happened is that I did a Windows XP system restore, but the problem had already occured that day. The developper did an even earlier system restore and it worked. Now the process is not eating up the whole computer.

Apparently the developper installed SQL server and SQL reporting and that's what triggered the problem.

So a windows system restore worked. Thank god for that functionnality! :w00t:

Now you know the reason and the solution.

Hope it works for you too!