Windows Protection Error

Jlo555

I don't understand this. I just rebuilt my computer, and everything has been running perfectly for the past 2 days. I installed MS Office XP a few hours ago, and everything went to hell! I rebooted, and just past the boot splash screen, I get a message that says "Windows Protection Error. Please Restart Your Computer." I restarted, same error. I went into safe mode and uninstalled office, and attempted to disable all services in msconfig that I deemed suspicious. I rebooted again, same error. It hadn't been very long since I had installed windows, so I decided to just reformat and reinstall 98SE. I did that, and this time I installed all the drivers, IE 5.5 (unstead of 6, which is what I had on the last installation), and WMP 7.1 (I had 9 on the last installation), and Office 2000 instead of XP. Everything worked perfectly. I went to windows update, rebooted, and saw the same error as before. I have no idea what is going on, as far as I am concerned, everything should be working properly.

All too many users who still have Windows 98 or SE think that they can run all the newest MS software on their old system.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Any software written after 2000 was probably written with W2k or Xp in mind.

As you've already found out, (the hard way) these new programs can often CRASH an old computer that was originally designed to run 98 and its associated software.

On Win-98 don't load anything higher than Media Player 7.1.

Or Office over Office 2000.

If you do, you're just asking for touble.

Office 2003 is buggy, and causes problems even on XP systems.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43

It wasn't a BSOD, it was an error right past the Windows boot screen. The software I'm using was windows media player 7.1 and Office 2000. I'm pretty sure that's all I had installed. I highly doubt that it could overheat because I just booted my computer right now (it was off for about 10 hours), and I got the same error. It is true what Andromeda said about newer software being unstable or buggy on 98SE. WMP9 runs somewhat OK on 98 and it horribly lags up on 2000pro. Office XP has worked fine for me in the past and I haven't tried office 2003 because the only real difference I see in that version of office is a newer GUI, which I don't really need nor want.