Cannot Boot from disk ...please reboot

NaTeDaWg1169

I know it has been discussed before in previous threads, but I have yet to find an answer.

I have created a custom bootable DVD with

Winodws Xp SP2

Windows Xp SP1

Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Windows 2000 DataCenter Server

Windows 2000 Server

Windows 2000 Pro

Windows Millenium

Windows 98 SE

Ive gone through the entire guide as it instructs with minor directory name changes.

I have modified the chshell.ini to fit my own pre boot menu needs, very basic not that comfortable with cdshell, but debugging it seemed to work fine.

When I try to boot from the DVD I get the error. Error Booting From Disk Please Reboot.

I have also tried to build it with Ultra Iso and Easy boot with bootloader from my cd's and bootloaders from bart page, but if I build it with those programs I get a quick read of the dvd on startup and skips right into booting Windows XP. I have tried different media and tried settings like omit iso 9660 options and enable lowercase settings all with no success. The only one that seems to be almost working and trying to boot is using cdshell, again though no sucess error booting disk please reboot. If anybody has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a very good understanding of computers and programs, kinda a closet geek. I get a little frustrated with programming type stuff, I had to be very patient with chshell, ended up modifying sites example to suit my needs, worked out better for me than trying to write one from scratch.

I appreciate the help

NateDawg

cdshell.ini

i didn't go through you ini file but it sounds like 1 or more of these...

-missing id files at root (win51ip...etc )

-your dat files you call have not been hex edited properly,

-cdshell's loader.bin file is corrupted and you need a fresh copy

-you are using the wrong loader.bin file (explains direct boot into XP)

-you are testing this in a Virtual machine and are selecting the DVD image as bootable media, not mounting the image in daemon or alcohol and load from the virtual cd drive.

Thanks for the quick reply, Ive gone through the items you mentioned you know Im not possitive because this is new to me, and I could have missed something, but that being said I pretty confident I didn't make any editing mistakes.

As far as corupt files I dont know Ive tried 2 different versions of cdshell the one I downloaded from this site and one I downloaded directly from cdshell.org.

Im not testing it in a virtual machine, just a pain in the a** for me to play around with, Ive ran some in the past and it has a tendency to crash my pc. Im just skipping straight to the field test. The only thing I checked was my menu was working with the chshw debugging command.

Ive included screen shots of my setup and root folders to give you an idea of my naming schemes for my folders. Also included the loaders from my boot folder and all my dats. If you would like to investigate further.

Thanks man i appreciate your help

post-72901-1126691125_thumb.jpg

post-72901-1126691132_thumb.jpg

Loaders_N_Dats.zip

Hey can someone put up there loader.bin from a working multiboot dvd, so I can try and integrate it into my disk, because whatever I do mine dont work, and everytime I try a different loader my errors change, so im hoping thats someone's working loader file will work for me.

Any other suggestions would be cool too.

Thanx guys

The loader.bin file in whatever cdshell distro version you d/l is good. Loader is probably not your problem, at least not the file. How are you compiling the image? Post program and switches used.

Send me a PM w/ your email...I'll send you cdshell 2.0.11 + BCDW 1.5z plugin.

If you are editing the image after it is created...

-Make sure to never use WinISO.

-In any other current ISO editor (I recommend UltraISO), always reselect loader.bin in the 'boot' folder as boot image.

-Always recompile the image. Never directly save changes as it can corrupt your image.

Assuming your cdshell.ini works, test with just 2000 or 2003 (you should have them separated anyways to avoid problems and to make updates and changes easier to swallow). Once each family works w/o flaws, add them to your main project.

And you said errors....errors are good. Especially when they are different using different files. Post them as it will probably be the defining factor to pinpoint your problem

Ya I would like to try cdshell 2.0.11 I am curently using 2.1.6, and I heard somewhere using a later issue of cd shell then 2.0.11 can cause issues, but I could not find 2.0.11 anywhere. To compile my image i am using cd image through a batch file Ill will attach my batch file with this reply, whenever I try to compile with ultra iso, after post when it trys to boot from cd it just gives me a flashing curser for a couple seconds and then loads my OS. I think ive narrowed that down to 2ksp4 file cdrom4.tst through a different guide using ezboot I tried that and if I removed cdrom4.tst then my boot loader would load but selecting an option would generate a cannot boot error. So I moved to this msfn guide and and different naming sceme and different hex editor and what not while compiling through cd image. now with my forementioned error. I have tested each Iso my boot loaders are working, I thought it might be my dat files that are not directing to where my boot loaders are but thats pretty straight forward with a simple name changing of my i386 to my renamed i386 folders. So I dont see how that could be the problem. Its a little frustrating I feel like im so close and its just one stupid little thing thats gonna make this work. I appreciate all your help. I will attach whatever I think is necessary to this post and if you have any suggestions let me know.

My email is natedawg@telus.net

Thanks for the help

PS I had to add the txt extension to my bat file to upload it to this forum.

makeiso.bat.txt

cdshell.ini

post-72901-1127555068_thumb.jpg

post-72901-1127555079_thumb.jpg