XP64 and SATA

satelite_ian

I have read posts that say XP64 should recognise a SATA disc on a brand new clean installation and additional drivers are only needed if using two discs in a RAID array.

Well am trying to perform a brand new installation of XP64 on a Maxtor DiamondMax SATA disc. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI.

I would be grateful for any help to get me on way to getting further on my way.. Thanks

If you don't have RAID, then you will be able to install x64 without any problems. I recommend using standard windows driver for nforce4 especially with one hdd. Nvidia IDE drivers fail most of the time with single hdd. DFI UT nf4 SLI here.

So if I download the nforce4 drivers, presumably I use the SATA-IDE driver and go through the f6, etc routine....?

No, you dont need the F6 drivers, you only need those drivers if you are using RAID, with a single drive on the NVIDIA controller (any of the yellow/orange ports) you just need to instal windows as normal, it will detect your drive for you, when windows is finished the you can download and update your drivers to the latest ones off the nivida web site (6.66). I have the same mobo and Windows X64 with a single SATA drive on the Nvidia controler using the latest drivers and had no probs with it what-so-ever.

If you don't have RAID, then you will be able to install x64 without any problems. I recommend using standard windows driver for nforce4 especially with one hdd. Nvidia IDE drivers fail most of the time with single hdd. DFI UT nf4 SLI here.

Do not use the standard windows drivers !!!, the nvidia 6.66 drivers are causing a problem whilst using RAID, not on a standard single drive set-up.

Ok, well then I have another problem that I don't understand because the XP64 installation does not pick up my hard drive.. Is this somethingto do with the RAID BIOS jumping in first and seeing my disc and trying to take control then?

Any help gratefully accepted.. thanks

Ok, well then I have another problem that I don't understand because the XP64 installation does not pick up my hard drive.. Is this somethingto do with the RAID BIOS jumping in first and seeing my disc and trying to take control then?

Any help gratefully accepted.. thanks

Yeah easy to cure, Enter your bios, Do you Control/F1 bit to show all features, then go into the INTERGRATED PERIPHERALS menu and disable IDE/SATA RAID FUNCTION, this should disable the raid chip all together and you will no longer get those raid boot menus asking you to hit F10 etc for RAID set-up. also while you are in that menu, you might as well also disable the SATA RAID 5 FUNCTON thats a bit further down the list and is for the Silicon RAID Device.