SPDIF Question

ixion

Hi,

I have an ASUS V6V laptop which according to the specs has a SPDIF output. Looking at the sound settings on the control application that installs itself (Realtek sound manager or something) I can see an option where I can set my sound to No Output, Digital Only or Analogue and Digital output. Regardless of what setting I set this to I can still get sound if I plug in a pair of headphones.

I have a creative speaker setup in my room at home which supports dolby digital and various inputs including coax, optical and analogue. I went into a shop yesterday and asked what kind of cable I need to get my laptop working and the guy there seemed to think that because the Asus website says “SPDIF” for my sound card that I should be using a mini-jack to coax cable and plug this into my coax input on my creative speaker console thingy.

I cant for the life of me get any sound when I flick my creative console over to coax in regardless of which of the following analogue/spdif outputs I select in the control panel.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should be doing or how I should be setting this up so I can get digital output from my laptop?

Thanks

:hello:

If you output in SPDIF through coax you should have a decoder on the other side that decodes the sound prior to sending it to each seperate speaker in analog format.

I don't know what speakers you use and why they have an coax input. You should check the manual for more explanation about the usage.

Greets

Davor

the console has a coax input, lavelled coax. the console also does dolby digital decoding etc so I am confident that it supports whatever it needs to. I have used coax on this console before, using a SB Live

:hello:

Seems the sollution isn't rignt on hand.

As the speaker decoder is working, the cable is OK, and the soundcard should output a digital soundstream, the only problem seems to be the soundcard, as you think too.

So, try to contact the customer support, or just go to their website and see in their knowledge base or FAQ... the problem is maybee already known.

Greets

Davor