Networking Problem

trm96

I just installed Windows on a newly built PC and when i plug in a network cable form my router (of witch i have 2 other computers connected to) windows goes through the normal "accuiring network address" after witch I duble click on the icon in the tray (Local Area Connection) and it says "Automatic Private Address" and it gives the following info:

IP 169.254.229.234

Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0

It only sometimes connects to my router (IP 96.96.156.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0)

Hi,

Sounds like you have DHCP enabled on your Router. Check if your settings are correct on the Router. When yes, try to install a Network sniffing software like Ethereal and check whats going on during the process of aquiring a IP Address.

The 169 Addresses are windows default if no IP could be retrieved from your DHCP Server.

Egon

PS: If your Router is a NAT Device, you really shouldn't use a non private network range in your local network. (Private networks are 192.168.*.*, 172.16.*.* and 10.*.*.*)

Edited by egrath

I just installed Windows on a newly built PC and when i plug in a network cable form my router (of witch i have 2 other computers connected to) windows goes through the normal "accuiring network address" after witch I duble  click on the icon in the tray (Local Area Connection) and it says "Automatic Private Address" and it gives the following  info:

IP 169.254.229.234

Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0

It only sometimes connects to my router (IP 96.96.156.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0)

"Sometimes" is probably the most annoying word in the troubleshooting language.

That said, my first guess here would be some kind of hardware failure that's resulting in intermittant connectivity issues. I would try using a new cable and/or a different port on the router to see if that resolves the issue. If neither of the other PC's has any difficulty, you can try disconnecting it and using that port to connect your new PC. If connectivity is still inconsistant, the router is probably not the issue.

You should also check your DHCP (whether on your router or one of the other PCs) to make sure there are sufficient addresses available. It seems unlikely that any DHCP server would be configured with a small enough number of addresses to cause problems on a network running only 3 devices, but an IP shortage could explain why sometimes you get connected and sometimes you don't.

You can also try assigning a static IP to your new PC and test network connectivity with that. If the static IP resolves the issue, then it is almost certainly a failure in the DHCP process that's causing your trouble.

Hope this helps.