Windows ME, Lucent modem driver update

Airsand

I've tried to install an updated driver from the Windows update website and it always seems to download OK, but when it goes into the install phase a window pop's up that say's "can windows uninstall the current driver, Yes or No". If I select no the install won't complete. If I select yes my net connection immediatly terminates and I can't reconnect to the net after that. I end up having to reload all my software and start all over again. I must need the updated driver because my connection speeds with the older driver are always lower than they should be, and why else would Windows Update tell me to install the new one if it wasn't nessacary. Is it possible to download the driver and save it to disk and then try to install it offline? I'd really appreciate if anyone can assist.

Puzzled

I wouldn't trust windows update for drivers at all. I've steared clear of drivers from ms update after I had XP Pro on my laptop and I found out there was a driver update available for my USB 802.11b network adapter. I installed the driver, and ended up with an incredibly reduced link status to my network and it would disconnect every 5 minutes. Search for the updated driver elsewhere. One site you might want to try for modem drivers is: www.modem-drivers.com, they got tons of modem drivers. And, as you may've noticed, when something interrupts windows update while it's installing updates/applications/drivers etc, your windows installation can absolutely go straight to hell! Believe me, I know from experience and other people's experience.

:no: There are two very major topics of discussion on the internet and even right here in the LG forums. Number two is "NEVER get driver updates from Microsoft"...

If the modem is still working then you don't need driver updates.

If it's slowing down look elsewhere, like is your system overloaded with junk and spyware? Are all your phone line connections nice and clean and shiney?

Recently I discovered that my modem has slowed way down after a severe thunder storm. But, it was still working.

I tried a new modem after checking everything else and raising he** with the phone co. and that brought me back up to full speed again.

In more than twenty years of working with dial up modems,,,,I've never improved the performance of one by upgrading the drivers. NEVER!

Good Luck,

Andromeda43

There are two very major topics of discussion on the internet and even right here in the LG forums.  Number two is...

off-topic: Just curious Andromeda43; what's number one?

Edited by nil