Video card recommendation

dbales

I'm considering upgrading my video card in anticipation of XP. My nephew has suggested going with an ATI Radeon w/64 megs. Do any of you have any insight in a 64 meg video card to buy that would get the most bang for my buck and maximize my XP Experience? I'm going to stay around the $250 max range. My nephew suggested I steer away from Gforce as they're priced higher than others that have comporable specs.

thanks,

db

My creative geforce 2 ultra (64 meg DDR) kicks a** man, I would recommend creative cards to anyone (theor tech support is top m8)

I would suggest either this card or a GF3. All my m8s have prbs with ATI cards too so I personally steer clear !!

Hmm... lots of mixed opinions here!!

Here's mine:

I use the ATI Radeon 64mb DDR in my machine, and it has worked great with Win2K and WinXP, no OS or game crashes at all.

I previously tried 2 different geforce cards (256 DDR and 2 MX) and I haven't been so lucky. Crash, crash, and more crashing in games, including a couple of BSODs in Win2k.

ATI Radeon 64mb is a great card, good for DVD and games, and even my new machine (due tomorrow) is also coming with the same card.

Perhaps the new GeForce 3 Ti Mx may well be what you need, I hear it is priced around £150, and boasts new instructions that the older GeForces did not. More details should become more apparent in the forthcoming weeks.

aMb

I'm using a Hercules 3D Prophet (GeForce) 2 MX (32mb) and have had absolutely no problems. Prior to that I had a 3Dfx Voodoo3 3500 TV, which had loads of trouble (which is why I got the new card in the first place). I'm quite happy with the benchmarks on the new card. 2400 in 3DMark 2001; more than double the 3Dfx, even in 32-bit 1024x768 mode. Hell, even with FSAA turned on it at least matched the 3Dfx card. Very sweet.