Hello

zeno60

Hey Guys. New programmer, just found these forums while surfing, look pretty sweet.

I just did a small project for class that i'm pretty proud of. Its a simple blackjack game written in VB.net, you can check it out on sourceforge @ http://sourceforge.net/projects/blackjack-by-kj/

This was my first major thing I programming project I have done for myself, what do you think? :w00t:

don't get too worried, my OS (xp pro) is pretty well hosed at this point, and heavily nLite'd.

boy, the splash screen sure looked good though :)

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly name Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility, or one of its dependencies, was not found.
File name: "Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility"
  at BlackJack.formBlackJack.InitializeComponent()
  at BlackJack.formBlackJack..ctor(Object caller) in C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\BlackJack\Main_BlackJack.vb:line 1353
  at BlackJack.Form1.btnPlay_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\BlackJack\Main.vb:line 210
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility, Version=7.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = C:\Profiles\Administrator\Desktop\BlackJack_exe\
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
Calling assembly : BlackJack, Version=1.0.2066.41090, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.
===

LOG: Publisher policy file is not found.
LOG: Host configuration file not found.
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility, Version=7.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Profiles/Administrator/Desktop/BlackJack_exe/Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Profiles/Administrator/Desktop/BlackJack_exe/Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility/Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Profiles/Administrator/Desktop/BlackJack_exe/Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Profiles/Administrator/Desktop/BlackJack_exe/Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility/Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compatibility.EXE.

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
   Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
   Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573
   CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
BlackJack
   Assembly Version: 1.0.2066.41090
   Win32 Version: 1.0.2066.41090
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Profiles/Administrator/Desktop/BlackJack_exe/BlackJack.exe
System.Windows.Forms
   CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
   CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
System.Drawing
   CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll

Thanks guys. Glad it finially works.

I hope to continue on with it and level out any glitches that appear (like todays, good job I signed on here) and get some tips from professional coders on how to make it a clean-cut blackjack game. So far, the Ace's only count as 11, I have some things to try to make them show up as only 1 when the time calls for it.

I still also have to fix the notification for when you actually get "blackjack." Still its far from finished, but I wanted to share it to get some ideas.

Thanks again for the comments, i'll definetly be sticking around. What coding do you have around your belt dman?

I am jack-of-all, master of none except maybe Visual Foxpro. Thats the only one I had a steady coding gig in anyway. Now I do whatever freelance I can get... VFP, VB6, .NET, HTML, PhP, DB design and SQL. Whatever someone wants to pay me for. I can work with almost anything except could never really get my head around C++ GUI apps. Kinda specialize in Database Apps. I Have been working with Python lately. That is very cool language because it is truly cross-platform. Same code runs on Win32, Linux and mac (well, mac is a little bit of pain) check out link in my sig for Python dev framework "dabo"

again, welcome to forum.

Edited by dman