Disable Index Server on all drives

Hi all. I would like to find a way to disable Index Server on all drives, that is, uncheck the tick mark on all harddrive properties.

I've found this Thread, but using Indexsrv_system = off on WINNT.SIF does not solve the problem.

Is there any way to do this programmatically, since Indexing is a NTFS attribute?

Thanks.

Edited by ponghy

I, too, am interested in a solution. What we need is a ATTRIB type command that includes indexing. There is something similar posted at http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=26587 , but that is not freeware, and I am unsure how it would work in an Unattended Installation.

If you, or anyone, has, or finds, more to offer on the thought ... please post!

I found that disabling the indexing service sometimes will break the Search function in Explorer. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Search won't give an error, it just won't find any files. Weird.

Thanks for the link, GreenMachine. That tool may be useful.

But my question is: How to uncheck these tick marks? (programmatically, of course). An undocumented API call perhaps?

Regards and thanks :)

Don't get me wrong, ponghy, I am still looking for the answer like you! That thread DOES tell how to programatically untick the boxes, but you need the EXE (elattrib?), as well as some DLLs, so I suspect the call would be difficult in unattended setup. It is further complicated by the fact that as shareware, there must be some controls for registered version. But I admit ... I have not tried it ...

Anyone else ?