WinXP Pro SP1 and SP2 on one CD?

tester_pedro

Currently I'm thinking about making a boot medium that have SP1 I386 directory and SP2 I386 directory on it.

My questions are:

* is it possible to make it? :whistle:

* is there a tool, that could compile the boot iso, so that the files that are the same for SP1 and SP2 are physically once on the medium, but are showed in both I386 directories? - I think is it possible but don't remember the tool or how to set such a option in ISO creating tools

Thanks to all.

Pedro

My testing so far

So far I'm stuck on the graphic part of installation.

I think I did everything right but in first second of graphic part of installation a messagebox pops up and saying something like: Structures of internal data of installation program are corrupted (phase 0) (it is very roughly translated from my mother language).

And what I did?

1) copied I386 SP1 into SP_1

2) copied I386 SP2 into SP_2

3) copied WIN51,WIN51IP,win51ip.SP1,win51ip.SP2 into "root" of the CD

4) maked w2ksect.dat into sp_1.dat and sp_2.dat and hexed string I386 info SP_1 and SP_2

5) hexed setupldr.bin as said in many threads

6) maked winnt.sif with skip EULA and ProductKey

7) used BCDW to do the multithing job

bootcat.ini has this:

C:\ ; Boot C:

\sp_1.dat ; Install SP1

\sp_2.dat ; Install SP2

:reboot ; Reboot

8) edited txtsetup.sif,dosnet.inf,layout.inf to match the directories

9) removed DOCS,VALUEADD and in cmpnents TABLETPC and MEDIACTR

I think thats all, if I remember well. If I missed something, then will add it

So the part that runs in text mode is ok, Recovery console works too on both but when it comes to graphic part of installation (after first restart) then to error pops up (mentioned above)

Any ideas?

THX Pedro

Yes, its possible... I actually have a CD like this that I made a while back... ;)

http://gosh.msfnhosting.com is the place for doing this! ;)

thanks for answer... yes I know gosh's guide but don't like the idea with winnt32 /noreboot thing. does the recovery console works?

if you can, could you tell me how you did that

edit1 ... to be true I was a bit inspired by gosh's guide and I think, when I read the guide, that I did everything right.

maybe there are some limitations of CDFS that makes impossible to read the iso properly (tested in virtual machine)

edit2 ... tested to run winnt32 /noreboot in the SP2 folder and it stopped that it can't find a path of some file :-O maybe thats the problem... going after

Edited by tester_pedro

looked (maybe I should say sniffed) over many forums about multiboot themes and find nothing that could help me.

maybe if I edit txtsetup.sif and this: SetupSourcePath = "\" ???

give it a try.will inform about the progress...

EDIT1: got it WORKING!!! not fully but it looks its on a good way.

What I did?

w2sect.dat duplicate,hexed

txtsetup.sif path change

setupldr.bin hexed

removed my winnt.sif (eula skip,productkey)

Now no fatal error message popup but it ask for the path of different files till the T-37 (Device instllation).

My question in this stage: my winnt.sif was:

[userData]

ProductKey=XXXXXX

[unattended]

OemSkipEula=Yes

is it ok that it looks like that? I mean is the switch UnattendMode= or UnattendedInstall = not needed?

Thanx for hints.

EDIT2:

after hundreds of making the iso over and over again I have put this in winnt.sif too:

[Data]

MsDosInitiated=0

this 2 lines should avoid the fatal error mentioned in first post.

BUT STILL IT ASKS ME FOR THE PATH FOR FILES (starts with ASMS,NT5*.CAT...)

Please help!!! I really need some help.

Edited by tester_pedro

Hey dude. I was having some of the same problems you were. What I used was the Microsoft Setup Manager Wizard. You can download it here.

I believe that you need UnattendedInstall="Yes" because then it will read the rest of the file. I think your target path should be TargetPath=\WINDOWS. You also need to specify which UnattendMode you want to use. I believe the bare minimum in an unattened setup is:

[Data]

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=ProvideDefault

Just follow the directions in the "Microsoft Setup Manager Wizard" and it will make the Winnit.sif file for you. It adds in quotes on some entries and I don't know if that will fix your problem. I appologize if this method is already know to you. Let me know if this fixes you problem. Later.

Hey dude. I was having some of the same problems you were. What I used was the Microsoft Setup Manager Wizard. You can download it  here.

I believe that you need UnattendedInstall="Yes" because then it will read the rest of the file. I think your target path should be TargetPath=\WINDOWS. You also need to specify which UnattendMode you want to use. I believe the bare minimum in an unattened setup is:

[Data]

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=ProvideDefault

Just follow the directions in the "Microsoft Setup Manager Wizard" and it will make the Winnit.sif file for you. It adds in quotes on some entries and I don't know if that will fix your problem. I appologize if this method is already know to you. Let me know if this fixes you problem. Later.

Thanks man.

I thought that it can be done directly but after many unsuccessfully tries giving it up and will try the Bootfolder tool and some info from Gosh's guide.

Will give some info how it ends.