Adding a merge field to a text box in Word

rdesh2003

I am mailing out a survey to over 2500 respondents. The survey is designed in Word, but I would like to add in an ID number to match against the mail-list in a small text box on the cover letter. Can someone tell me how to do this?

I tried mail-merge, and Office Help only offers to delete my current document.

thanks

• 1 month later...

Word 2002/XP

You can add merge fields inside the text box in the same way as anywhere else in a Word document.

Having created the Word doc with a text box, select the data source you want so that the mail merge toolbar is active.

Place the cursor in the text box, click insert merge fields icon on mail merge toolbar, select the merge field you want to add, click insert, and it appears in the text box.

To add an ID number, you would of course need to have that field in your mail merge data source. If you don't have it, you should edit your mail merge data source (depeending on what you use: I use a Word table, with columns labelled corresponding to the merge fields; others use Excel or Access tables, etc.)

You can then format/resize/move the text box and its contents to suit.

I used that to make an envelope template with the from and to address blocks where I wanted them.