Add Office 2003 quick launch icons

D8TA

I searched this forum trying to find an answer but everything I find that references quick launch icons appear to be for unattended installations.

My question is we are going to upgrade our desktops from Office 2000 to Office 2003. On our Ghost images we have Office 2000 and we use Novidigm/HP Radia to distribute our software. We have a script that will remove the Office 2000 quick launch icons, Outlook, Word, Excel 2000 but when Radia uninstalled Office 2000 and installs Office 2003 Professional sp1 there are no quick launch icons. Radia installs under the System context so I'm not sure how I can get the quick launch icons, at least Outlook, Word, Excel 2003. I really hate to create a training video for all the users (2400+) to show them how to manually add these icons. Is there an easier way to either have the user add these icons or through a script when the user logs in to the local user account? We currently are in the planning phase for AD so everything is still all local user profiles, which I know really sucks. Most users are Power Users and this Radia package will deploy Office 2003 Pro sp1 with a local installation point.

Any advice or suggestion would be appreciated.

So I don't get it...you want the quicklaunch icons or not...it's a little hard to read in the middle there.

If you want the quicklaunch icons, you can do that several ways. I recently got into AutoIt, and if you used that you could create a simple script like this:

FileCreateShortcut ( "C:\file1.exe", @AppDataDir & "\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\shortcut to file1.lnk" )

FileCreateShortcut ( "C:\file2.exe", @AppDataDir & "\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\shortcut to file2.lnk" )

Of course that's just the basic syntax...you can research all the options if you like.

You could then take that script and compile it to an .exe (The tools are included with the AutoIt install) which you could then call from a batch file. It's a couple extra steps but it should work.

I am trying the same hing. I have a script that adds them during the firts boot process, after ofice istalls,and also tried setting up the icons using the transforms file, but it does not carry over to all users. It only shows for the user ID it is installed under, which is the default after the first startup. Once I join the computer to the domain, the office shortcuts are gone. I will really hate to do this to 2500 machines manually. I know I could add it to my domain logon script, but management wants to eliminate most of our script.

Here is my vb script to add those shortcuts if you want to use it for your logon script, just add or remove whichever you need:

Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set colEnvironmentVariables = objShell.Environment("Volatile")

strQLFolder = colEnvironmentVariables.Item("APPDATA") & _
"\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"

Set objShortcut = objShell.CreateShortcut(strQLFolder & "\Word.lnk")
objShortcut.TargetPath = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\Winword.exe"
objShortcut.Save

Set objShortcut = objShell.CreateShortcut(strQLFolder & "\Excel.lnk")
objShortcut.TargetPath = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\Excel.exe"
objShortcut.Save

Set objShortcut = objShell.CreateShortcut(strQLFolder & "\Powerpoint.lnk")
objShortcut.TargetPath = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\POWERPNT.EXE"
objShortcut.Save

Set objShortcut = objShell.CreateShortcut(strQLFolder & "\Outlook.lnk")
objShortcut.TargetPath = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE"
objShortcut.Save

• 3 months later...