Critical file transplant

M_win

I mean things like movie maker, internet games, system restore, kernel32.dll from xp.

has anyone tried doing any of this?

I can almost get system restore to work but i run it it says its turned off so i turn it on and stills say its turned off.

As far as I can tell, only Internet games from ME or XP can be installed on 98SE with a lil bit of tweaking.

But I'm not interested in MS/MSN games, so I'm not going to do this.

To install SR/WFP or PCHealth from ME [the ones from XP/2003/Vista won't work] on 98SE, one needs a lot of file hexing and INF "chopping".

If u succeed to safely install SR/WFP/PCHealth from ME or XP on 98SE, please post your findings/scripts/code here, so we can all benefit.

Movie Maker should be fairly easy to install, but I haven't tried.

But the catch is Movie Maker [as far as I recall], needs the ME versions of AVICAP*.DLL + AVIFIL*.DLL in %windir%\SYSTEM [the ones from XP/2003/Vista won't work], which brings up errors in movie/video playback in 98SE.

That's why I haven't added these 4 ME files to 98SE2ME.

Kernel32.dll nor other similar system files from 2000/XP/2003/Vista cannot be installed on any 9x OSes. OS core + kernel code in NTx is completely different.

Of course if any1 is familiar with MS internal code, this is theoretically doable, as long as one rebuilds the code from ground up and applies it to 9x, but even then, that's a lot of work [we're talking here about rebuilding an entire OS], and a bunch of other system files would need to be recoded too.

If you'd like to see which files can be transplanted safely from XP/2003 to 98SE, please see this guide:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#XP

and this 1 to install WMP10 for XP onto 98SE:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=35997...ndpost&p=309394

On my 98SE PC I'm also using these files from 2003 SP1 [update: current HTML Help files are now provided by MS = official patch KB 896358: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms05-026.mspx ]:

http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=46349...ndpost&p=328031

Hope this helps.

well...

Could you send me where the sr/wfs moviemaker/pchealth/internetgames file belong

I can take thechopping from there(if this works, it could become the unofficial windows 98 Digital media plus! pack)

I already started on helpctr.exe Ive gotton this to work, part way...

but if you cant/wont thats fine and thanks for your help. :)

well...

Could you send me where the sr/wfs moviemaker/pchealth/internetgames file belong

I can take thechopping from there(if this works, it could become the unofficial windows 98 Digital media plus! pack)

I already started on helpctr.exe Ive gotton this to work, part way...

but if you cant/wont thats fine and thanks for your help. :)

I've never tried to hex/chop/etc movie maker, SR/WFP/PCHealth or their INFs, and as I said before, I don't care about MS/MSN online games, so I don't have any scripts/files.

But you can get all files including the INFs [if u open the INFs with Notepad u can see where each file belongs] from any WinME setup CD [extract from CABs] or from a ME installation, and start from there.

Also, u can use this collection of ME components uninstall INF scripts [free] for inspiration:

http://www.beta10.com/oppcomme.htm

The catch is that such a complex project requires a lot of trial-and-error and tedious testing to get it right.

I for one have spent almost 1 year until I got 98SE2ME to work properly, because 98SE2ME "transplants" over 700 files from ME setup CD.

Good luck.

Kernel32.dll nor other similar system files from 2000/XP/2003/Vista cannot be installed on any 9x OSes. OS core + kernel code in NTx is completely different.

Of course if any1 is familiar with MS internal code, this is theoretically doable, as long as one rebuilds the code from ground up and applies it to 9x, but even then, that's a lot of work [we're talking here about rebuilding an entire OS], and a bunch of other system files would need to be recoded too.

I wonder if WINE's implementation of some of the DLL's would work... They're basically what you're talking about. Heck, I wonder if, given the current speed of the WINE project, if a partially free Windows could be created using WINE-based DLLs.

Seeing as DirectX9 support is beginning to be implemented into Wine, there's probably enough of an understanding for kernel32.dll's code for an alternative dll to be compiled for use in Windows 9x...

But then again, I'm no programmer, so I'm probably wrong. ;(

I wonder if WINE's implementation of some of the DLL's would work... They're basically what you're talking about. Heck, I wonder if, given the current speed of the WINE project, if a partially free Windows could be created using WINE-based DLLs.

Seeing as DirectX9 support is beginning to be implemented into Wine, there's probably enough of an understanding for kernel32.dll's code for an alternative dll to be compiled for use in Windows 9x...

But then again, I'm no programmer, so I'm probably wrong. ;(

nice idea! ....someone related (or near) to the wine project?