Unattended DX9.0c on Win 2000

NoUTurn20

I have tried to integrate a silent install of DirectX 9.0C into my unattended Windows 2000 but so far have been relatively unsuccessful (I have SP4 and SR1 for SP4 slipstreamed). I have tried both a .bat file run from GUIRunOnce and via cmdlines.txt. I extracted the redis package and have been using the switch dxsetup.exe /silent. I have also attempted to use the /install switch alogn with /silent but always get an invalid switch error. When using the .bat method I get memory errors during install. When running it via cmdlines.txt I don't get any install errors but either running it via .bat or cmdlines.txt when I run dxdiag in windows I get an error about GDI32.dll and User32.dll. I searched around on google and found If I replace to files d3d8thk.dll and dinput8.dll with alternate ones from the .cab files those errors do go away. If I do a regular install using the same redis package (Aug 4 2004) with no switches I don't seem to have this problem. Perferably I would like to use the cmdlines.txt method and stay away from using any hex edited setup files etc... If any one can shed some insight it would be appreciated.

Perferably I would like to use the cmdlines.txt method and stay away from using any hex edited setup files etc...

I don't think that's doable. I'm sure you have read THIS THREAD, which dicusses the no-ifs-ands-or-buts necessity of editing the dxsetup.exe file for a Win2K install. This has been an issue for DX9a, DX9b, and DX9c. My RunOnceEx.cmd for Windows 2000 Advanced Server:

@Echo Off

SET PP=%systemdrive%\Install

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\060 /VE /D "DirectX9c" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\060 /V 1 /D "%PP%\DX9c\dxsetup.exe /install /silent" /f

You can grab the 42.05k dxsetup_new.zip file at the end of page three of the thread mentioned above. I'm just thankful that nxskingdom made it available.

I'm using TommyP's integration method for most of the install work (try it, it is truly fantastic), but using the "/Q:A /R:N" switches as Tommy suggested together with nxskingdom's IExpress guide to pack a switchless silent DirectX9.0c installer did not work for me. Tommy didn't indicate that I needed to use the hex edited dxsetup.exe, and so maybe I shouldn't have. Or maybe I really did need to use the "/install /silent" switches despite Tommy's admonishments. Dunno. Anyway, it's done: I use the hexed dxsetup.exe file together with the /install /silent switches from cmdlines.txt as indicated above and all is well. And since it is installing from cmdlines.txt, I can always remove it easily to cut bloat.