Changing reg keys to do an upgrade..

Background:

I have a windows 2000 server that I am trying to upgrade to Server 2003.

I reckon at some stage during an install of a piece of software that changes to permissions on certain registry keys were carried out. These weren't changed back when the offending software was removed.

Now when I do an upgrade to 2003 server it blue screens during install. I'm guessing that it can't access the registry keys that it needs to when performing the upgrade.

Brought the server back up again from a backup, changed root key in HKLM to give Everyone Full control and forced this to propagate down to all sub keys. Performed the upgrade and it worked without blue screening.

Question:

Can I just untick the box and take Full Control back off the Everyone group and carry on as normal with an upgraded server or should I restore the server back to 2000 and find another resolution to doing a proper upgrade?

Has anyone any experience on this?

Cheers

PC.

You can create a security template before you change the registry permissions -> change the permissions-> Perform the upgrade -> Import the security template.

No I have not ran into this before though.. I just know that the security templates hold permissions for drives and regsitry setting and much more.