The case of the missing middle mouse button

quinriva

I've installed IntelliPoint drivers for my mouse and for some stupid reason Micro$haft thought that they would reasign the default operation for the middle mouse button to the 'next window' command. Ok so I change it back to what it should be - autoscroll. But this doesn't work! So I unistall the drivers reboot, unistall intellipoint and reboot; still doesn't work. I tried installing logitech drivers and finally the autoscroll sort of works - but the next window command is activated as soon as the button is realesed. Uninstall logitech, reinstall Intellipoint change the settings again. Still doesn't work. All three options, 'middle mouse button', 'autoscroll' and 'next window' all perform the 'next window' operation. Pro/E doesn't have a work around and the use of a middle mouse button is essential for doing CAD models - so I'm on hold until I can fix this situation.

Changing the mouse didn't even work!

BTW I have a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0A and an Intellimouse Optical 1.1A, neither work.

I am also using the intellitouch software with wireless keyboard mouse combo.

Why on earth would you install Logitech drivers for a Microsoft mouse? That's got to be one of the most bizarre things I've heard in a while.

Have you tried uninstalling the Intellitouch software for the keyboard? Does the keyboard have a scroll wheel on it (or a scroll stick)?

Try uninstalling everything keyboard and mouse related, and then see if the middle click does what it should. If not, go into Device Manager and uninstall the mouse - reboot and let Windows detect the mouse with default drivers and see if the problem is corrected. Then try to see if you can install just the Intellipoint software.

I would recommend trying to fix your problem with the Intellimouse as opposed to your wireless mouse.

Nope did all that, still doesn't work.  A mouse is a mouse. The logitech drivers worked better than the Micro$haft ones.

Even after uninstalling the mouse itself? The default (no driver) action is to switch to the next window? If so then your problem isn't with the Intellipoint drivers.

And a mouse isn't just a mouse... my Logitech MX500 has a button on it that doesn't do anything unless Logitech drivers are installed. So no... the Microsoft and Logitech drivers are different and shouldn't be swapped. What drivers did you try btw? MouseWare or SetPoint?

And I can also say that the last time I used the Intellipoint drivers (V5) the default middle click option was in fact autoscroll.

And I've said it plenty of times before elsewhere on this forum... stop bashing Microsoft because you're having a problem with a setting. If you don't like it, stop using it. Try getting something like Intellipoint or SetPoint functionality in Linux...

Yes even after uninstalling all mouse drivers the problem still exists. I atempted to use a the Mouseware drivers from Logitech, and as I said all buttons acted exactly the they should (I'm thinking in general logitech mice are more complex than MS ones and their drivers are compatible with there earlier simpler mouse (similar to the MS one I have) execpt the problem I stated earlier.) I believe the default mapping is different for different models of mouse, with V5.02. My 5 button optical mouse defaulted to autoscroll, while my wireless mouse defaults to next window. However it seems that there is some sort of lingering setting that isn't removed when I unistall the drivers and overides other functions. With only the Logitech drivers intalled the mouse performed both the 'autoscroll' and the 'next window' functions.