Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

I want to build an XPSP3 installation disc which can support a wide variety of nForce-based systems. Ideally, I would like to integrate both LEGACY and the 9.99.0.9 drivers onto a single disc. Apart from me having to edit the INF/OEM files accordingly (to eliminate dupe entries), are there any drawbacks?
That is an interesting idea to integrate 2 different nForce SATARAID drivers into the same XP CD, one for the LEGACY Mode nForce 2-4 systems and the other for the more actual nForce RAID systems (by the way: AHCI support will not work with them).

Although I am always warning to integrate more than 1 textmode driver of the same chipset vendor into a Windows XP CD, this special combination may work:

1. modded LEGACY folder v6.99 and
  2. modded SATARAID folder v9.99.09

Both have to be integrated separately (single driver mode) as textmode drivers into a Windows XP CD.

Reason for being optimistic, that it will work:

Since the SATA and RAID drivers of both driver versions have different names, they will not be overwritten while nLite is copying them into the i386 directory of the CD.

Further advices:

• Although I do not know, if it is really needed, you should erase double HardwareID entries from the INF and OEM files before integrating them to avoid any interfering acts while doing the Windows Setup. If you want, I can help you to do it.
  • Please give us a feedback, if that worked, because this might be interesting for other users too.
  • If you should not succeed with this procedure, you may use the DriverPacks method (>Link<), but this will not work with nLite.

Just to remember you: Only the private use of nLite is allowed, any use of nLite for a business purpose is illegal.

Good luck!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Thanks for your input!

Quite some time ago, I created a BartPE live CD which included both your LEGACY and 9.99.09 driver sets:

Intel_textmode_drivers_v8.7.0.1007_mod_by_Fernando

nForce IDE 99909 for XP 32bit mod by Fernando

nForce LEGACY 699 for XP 32bit built by Fernando

Although it was a half-baked effort and purely experimental, I've had no problems using this CD on legacy or newer systems (so far). Unfortunately, I didn't go on to create a similar XP installation disc at the time. Over the past 2-3 years, I have created several XP discs with integrated drivers, none of which was an All-In-One solution. TBH, I'm fed up with having to sift through all these discs whenever I needed to use one. Therefore, I'm hoping to create a new disc based on what I had achieved with BartPE.

textmode:

- Intel 9.5.0.1037 WHQL (or should I use your modded package? please advise)

- nForce LEGACY

- nForce 9.99.0.9 (sataraid)

pnp drivers:

- nForce 9.99.0.9 (sata_ide)

About the hardware IDs -- it only makes sense to remove duplicate entries; if only for the reasons you've mentioned. In creating the BartPE CD, the LEGACY inf/oem files were edited to "exclude" HWID's already present in the 9.99.0.9 package. While the only change made to the 9.99.0.9 configuration files was the removal of *_NVRAIDBUS and *NVRAIDBUS hardware ID's. Everything else was left intact.

BTW, I messed around with the DriverPacks Method before, but never got it to work properly.

Edited by mongo66

@ mongo66:

Regarding the Intel textmode drivers I recommend to take the modded version, because this way you will get all possible ICH6-10 chipset AHCI and RAID systems supported.

If you want to integrate the newest Intel textmode drivers, take the RST driver v9.5.6.1001, which I have modded yesterday. >Here< is the download link of the 32bit version.

Regards

Fernando

It seems I've come across a stumbling block, something I had carelessly overlooked earlier on. Both LEGACY and 9.99.0.9 drivers share one common denominator: RAID Controller. As I mentioned in an earlier post, two driver integration is made possible by editing the relevant INF/OEM files. This is all fine and dandy, but when it comes to RAID Controller id's, *_NVRAIDBUS and *NVRAIDBUS, omitting them from either package will result in mismatched drivers being installed:

nvgts.sys + nvraid.sys, or

nvatabus.sys + nvrd32.sys

Whereas keeping them won't eliminate the mismatched driver issue (on the LEGACY side of things) and may cause conflicts during Windows Setup due to the duplicate entries in TXTSETUP.SIF. Whatever the case, it doesn't look too promising for SATA RAID systems. Not exactly what I was hoping for, so it's a no go :(

P.S. - What is it with NVIDIA and their drivers? Intel is so much easier to work with.

Edited by mongo66

Hello all of you. I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro x86 SP3 on my SATA HDD. (Seagate OEM) to no avail as of yet. I've read the first post and I'm still a little confused, my motherboard is an Asus M268-AM SE2. The chipset is NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630 a (MCP68 SE). I don't know exactly which drivers I should include in the slipstream version of my installation. Thanks for the help.

From the first post, I'm guessing I should use the drivers in the B section (AHCI), but my chipset isn't listed...

OK, I've managed to get through me first problem:

I had Win7 installed before. It made a system partition on the C: drive. When XP extracts the installation files, it puts them on that drive even though I was installing on D:. (http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29867)

I deleted that partition and now it installs.

But now I have the last problem: BSOD at last reboot....

My CD-ROM has only a SATA connector, can someone explain to me if that's the problem. (I don't get it)

Or maybe I just have the wrong drivers slipstreamed. For now I used the latest ones from the ASUS website for my MoBo (NVIDIA nForce Chipset Package Driver V15.45(Chipset version 4.6.9.0) for Windows XP.(WHQL)). I'll retry and make sure they're in textmode.

Also, for my BIOS configuration:

in IDE Configuration, my options are:

IDE Controller: Enabled/Disabled

Serial ATA Controller: Enabled/Disabled

nVidia RAID Controller: Enabled/Disabled

What should I choose ?

Simon

Edited by Smash85

@ Smash85:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

It is not easy to help you, because you obviously do nt know, if your SATA hdd is running in RAID or AHCI Mode. Unfortunately you have already formatted the Win7 partition, which makes it impossible to have a look into the Device Manager.

Before I can start withnany help, you should give me some further informations:

1. How many hdd's are connected to you motherboard?

2. Where can I get some informations about your ASUS M268-AM SE2? I don't find anything about that board at ASUS web pages.

I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro x86 SP3 on my SATA HDD. (Seagate OEM) to no avail as of yet. I've read the first post and I'm still a little confused, my motherboard is an Asus M268-AM SE2. The chipset is NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630 a (MCP68 SE). I don't know exactly which drivers I should include in the slipstream version of my installation.
That depends on the answer to the question, in which Mode (AHCI or RAID) your SATA Controller is running.
I deleted that partition and now it installs.

But now I have the last problem: BSOD at last reboot....

Which driver did you integrate?
Also, for my BIOS configuration:

in IDE Configuration, my options are:

IDE Controller: Enabled/Disabled

Serial ATA Controller: Enabled/Disabled

nVidia RAID Controller: Enabled/Disabled

What should I choose ?

The answer depends on what you want.

If you want to use the AHCI features, you probably have to enable the "Serial ATA Controller" and to disable the IDE one.

The NVIDIA RAID Controller should be disabled anyway, unless you are going to create a RAID array (minimum 2 hdd's required).

Edited by Fernando 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm trying to install XP 32Bit on 2TB Raid 1 on a NVIDIA Integrated Quadro FX470 system. The raid controller according to the manual is a NVIDIA MediaShield RAID controller. Which driver do I need to use to make a slipstream? The FX470 chipset I have is not listed under any of the drivers listed in this thread.

I'd be happy if you could help me out with this!

Thanks

Jaxx

I have a Asus TW100-E5 Barebone which has a Asus P5N-VM WS motherboard in it.
Both SATARAID drivers I have recommended for "all other chipsets" within my guide should work for your system. So you can integrate either the SATARAID driver folder v10.3.0.46 or v9.99.09.

Good luck!

Fernando

Hello

I'm trying to install xp pro 32 bits in ahci mode on asus M4N78 PRO with a nforce 710a controler

i'm using NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller 10.3.0.46 with nlite but dont work

hdd are not detected

what is the good driver for my motherboard

sorry for my english

Thank you

@ cyr42000:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

I'm trying to install xp pro 32 bits in ahci mode on asus M4N78 PRO with a nforce 710a controler

i'm using NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller 10.3.0.46 with nlite but dont work

hdd are not detected

what is the good driver for my motherboard

I assume, that your SATA hdd is connected with a NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller, which has been set to "AHCI" Mode within the BIOS.

If the SATA_IDE driver v10.3.0.46 has been integrated as TEXTMODE driver, but was not able to detect your SATA hdd, you should integrate the SATA_IDE driver v11.1.0.33, which can be downloaded from >here<.

Please report here, if you succeeded this way. This may help other users with a similar hardware configuration.

Good luck!

Fernando

ok that work

I have integrated the driver v 11.1.0.33 with nlite and i have succed to install xp in ahci mode

for information i have a m4n78 pro with GeForce 8300 (MCP78U) PCB 1.02G and bios 10.04

Thank you very much Fernando

@ cyr42000:

Thanks for your feedback.

Your report encouraged me to update my guide and to offer these customized nForce IDE drivers v11.1.0.33 for all users with an MCP65-79 chipset.

@ all viewers of this thread:

Today I have updated my guide again.

This is the changelog:

• new: mod. nForce SATARAID drivers v11.1.0.33 (32/64bit)
  • new: mod. nForce SATA_IDE drivers v11.1.0.33 (32/64bit)
  • new: "MCP65-79 Actual Driverpacks" v7.3 (32/64bit)
  • enhanced compatibility: mod. nForce LEGACY drivers v6.99 (32/64bit)
  • updated: "NF4-7 Performance Packs" v5.9 (32/64bit)
  • updated: "LEGACY Remix Packs" v5.8 (32/64bit)

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Have fun!

Fernando

Fernando,

Thank you for your hard work on the integration of raid and AHCI on the xp pro x64 operating system.

In January I used your guide with nlite and it worked like a charm

I used parts I had bought about two years ago. The mother board was an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe.

Finding your guide made all the difference.

Geophyte1