nForce 4 chipset drivers ... from hell

NickHD

I've searched, I've tested, I've sacrificed virgins (hard to find too!) to the mountain tops, but no luck at ALL with doing an unattended install of my chipset drivers - doesn't exist, anywhere. Unless somebody else knows or is able to figure it out.

So I searched and people said "oh just install the drivers through Winnt.sif" but that itself poses a few problems. I'm not sure how to individually install the RAID tools included with the drives and also I would have to install the Network Access Manager separately which is the root of the problem in the first place. Ok, slow down, let me back track and try to explain this.

So I'm happily reading the unattended guide and everything is going great, yada yada yada, oh look time to setup driver installs! So I take a look at my custom (can't use the ones from nVidia site as they cause issues with my motherboard) installation package, see that it installs some RAID tools and NAM software in addition to just the plain old drivers and say "hey, I'll just install it as an application, that'll be easier." Errr, WRONG. I do -R, I get the ISS file, I put it where it belongs, I run the silent install properly and even add the -f1"path" switch the second time around - no luck.

It goes through the actual driver install just fine, but during the course of the install it launches a secondary separate installer file to install NAM ... which proceeds to reboot my system upon exit no matter what the ISS file says or what -k is telling it to do. "Ah ha!" I thought to myself while I manually launched that installer file and ran record on it and then popped the ISS file in that exe's directory. Tried again. Failed.

So then I was thinking, the installer itself is launching the secondary install file, passing it no switches so it doesn't see the ISS file for that installer nor does it see the -k switch. As a result the second installation goes on minimized (unable to restore or maximize the window) and then does the default reboot option without even asking me. This is obviously a problem because I don't want it rebooting all on its own and I don't want to just stick it at the end of my install tasks because chipset and mobo drivers should be installed first.

Something else that really bugs me. When I run the setup program WITHOUT specifying -R I get a whole bunch of options - INCLUDING if i want to install NAM or not, but they do NOT show up when I have -R on.

So basically, I'm out of options as far as I can see. I could have it not do a silent install but then that would sort of break the "unattended" definition, now wouldn't it? If anybody has any ideas or wants to give it a shot or something, the chipset driver can be found here: http://ftp.shuttle.com/Drivers/new/sn25p/cd618/chipset.zip

Thanks for any help you can give,

Nick

What about the software that gets installed with it? Like the RAID software for managing my setup in Windows and the Firewall software for the onboard firewall?

Is there any way to decompile or edit Install Shield installers? Maybe I could remove the Firewall installation from the package and then just install it later or install it at the end when I have to reboot anyway. The chipset drivers should go in first so I would do those in the beginning and then the firewall at the very end. Would that be possible? Anybody know of any programs that could help me do that?

Nick