What is the best way to deploy PCs

I'm guessing this topic has been brought up many times, but I was unable to find it in my brief searches. Thanks for any input...

So, what do YOU find to be the best option for deploying new PCs? I'm currently using sysprep + ghost to roll out new PCs, but am looking for a better option. I don't mind doing a lot of homework upfront to make it easier in the end.

Is RIS worth the time? Should I try this? Some sort of unattended install? Am I doing it the best way?

Again, thanks for your input.

Edited by fly

For years now I have been using RIS in favor of sysprep (or even riprep for that matter). For the last year and a half I have been using all of the tricks and techniques you would normally use for CD/DVD based installs and implementing them into RIS.

The major differences with my RIS deployments are using GPOs to deploy applications instead of switchless silent installers and using GPOs for the majority of registry settings.

If you take the time to do it right RIS can't be beat. You will have to put your share of research and experimentation however.

I got my jump on RIS using Mark Minasi's excellent reference Mastering Windows 2000 Server. I imagine that the follow up Mastering Windows 2003 Server also covers RIS. I've recommended this title in some other threads before and don't want to sound like a salesman or anything, but it really should be required reading for all Windows network admins.

After getting the RIS basics down, this web site will definately be your best reference automating RIS as much as possible. I would say 90% of what you want to do with RIS is the same as if you were using optical media. The main difference being that you can leverage Group Policy for a lot of things.

I got my jump on RIS using Mark Minasi's excellent reference Mastering Windows 2000 Server.  I imagine that the follow up Mastering Windows 2003 Server also covers RIS.  I've recommended this title in some other threads before and don't want to sound like a salesman or anything, but it really should be required reading for all Windows network admins.

Got an ISBN-number for those books?

Well, I am not using RIS, I am using another PXE server... This server only loads small boot disk (700kB) and start normal unattended installation over network.

When OS installation is finished, I give control to deployment server (Unicenter, but you can use Tivoli, SMS...)

Well, I am not using RIS, I am using another PXE server... This server only loads small boot disk (700kB) and start normal unattended installation over network.

When OS installation is finished, I give control to deployment server (Unicenter, but you can use Tivoli, SMS...)

Can you explain what the advantages to that are over RIS?

edit: btw, do you have paypal? I wanted to pay you for helping me.

Edited by fly

2fly: Nope, dont have paypal... When did I help you? :(

It have simple advantage - you dont need to configure it from GUI, so your projects cant be absolutely unattended - e.g. technician will have one web page, he will just fill the name of pc and click proceed and the server will automatically assign FDD image to that PC and restart/wol that machine...