Getting running with a server

I want to bulid a computer that will be on 24hours a day, mainly using its hdd's as a file store on a local network.

First Question:

As far as i can gather the best thing for this would be to install some kind of server os (win server 2003) instead of a workstation os (xp pro)

Is this a good idea? Or is XP sufficient?

Second Question:

I have currently got a laptop running xp pro, which is connected to the lan.

Is is possible for this to control the new computer (file store mentioned above) over the lan as this would save me buying a new monitor/keyboard etc and would be a neater arrangement in my office.

So I could run programs on the other machine, change settings etc

I have a fairly decent grasp of workstation os's and their workings but am a complete novice when it comes to servers and server os's

Thanks in advance for any help

If it only going to be used as a file store, then yes XP pro is fine.

But this is dependant on the number of users you have.

Ie server Os makes managing high numbers of users easier.

Issue of remote control, you would need monitor etc at first to setup OS and remote control software, but yeah this could be done via laptop.

Windows XP/Server 2003 has built in software for this (remote desktop Client) or you could use third part one, I prefer TIghtVNC but there are a few variants of this (real VNC, Ultra VNC to name a couple).

Google each of these shall reveal all.

Cheers

Andy

It all depends on how many clients you want to connect to the file server and how important security is to you.

Windows XP Home has a limit of up to 5 client shares at any one time, a sixth client will be denied access until another is logged off.

Windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP Pro have a limit of up to 10 client shares at any one time, an eleventh client will be denied access until another is logged off. Also there’s some good user rights management and security.

Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003 can have large numbers of clients connected and features excellent user rights management and security.

Now with regard to remote control, it all depends what your requirements are. If you merely want to manage your server then tightVNC will be fine. If however you want to actually use applications on your server for any length of time then I highly recommend Terminal Server. TS is a far more smoother experience.

Edited by At0mic

linux with samba server and webmin, would be an alternative. it may take more time to setup but linux was built for these kind of tasks.

we setup a samba file server at school, and it ran for months without a reboot, and we never had to touch it again after it was setup.

if your working in an active directory based environment however, youre better off using a windows operating system.

Edited by what3v3r