Question on Integrating Folders on MultiBOOT DVD

Hi everyone,

My problem deals with the structuring/layout of the folders to include UBCD Win 2.5 and other operating systems like Windows XP/2000/98.

I want all my UBCDWIN contents to reside in a Folder <UBCD> placed in the root of my dvd and within UBCD I want to place all the contents of the UBCDWIN cd I have like the i386, etc folders.

Since, I hexed setupldr, the bootimg for ubcd to use the folder <UBCD> rather than <I386> and also changed the setup source path in txtsetup.sif. Once the cd is booted up with the UBCDWIN bootload img it looks for the files in <UBCD> where as the actual files are in <UBCD/I386>, therefore ubcdwin REFUSES to load up. I keep recieveing errors that some files were not present in <UBCD/System32> because of which it could not load UBCDWIN. Also, these files are they are actually present in <UBCD/I386/SYSTEM32> which it would be using to bootup to UBCDWIN.

My folder structure can be seen below in the screenshot

How to make the bootloader look into UBCD/I386 and if atall this is possible ? I DO NOT WANT TO PLACE ALL THE FILES FROM THE UBCDWIN INTO THE ROOT OF THE MULTIBOOT DVD BECAUSE IT WILL CLUTTER THE ROOT, THATS THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF THIS QUESTION - TO GET ALL FILES FROM UBCDWIN INTO ONE FOLDER I.E <UBCD> AND RUN IT FROM THERE - PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHED SCREENSHOT OF MY FOLDERS TO UNDERSTAND THE SITUATION. HELP WOULD BE GLADLY APPRECIATED !!

post-63579-1120944827_thumb.jpg

Edited by BrandenJunior

Well, I don't know if this would work, but it's worth a shot. Just use the multi-boot guide from http://flyakite.msfnhosting.com and use the instructions for XP Professional (using the boot files you've already got) to launch UBCD just like you would any other Windows setup. Though you'll also need to copy the winbom.ini to the root of your disc. I've got my doubts it will work, but you can give it a try. I've never used UBCD so I have no way of testing it myself.

this is the same type of problem I was having and the reason for my post. It seemed I could never get windows to install properly unless the i3xx directory was in the root of the CD. There is no need for any other folder from WindowsXP to reside in the root and since you already have the cd files there (win51ip etc.) it will just share those. if you have more than one windows install all you have to do is hexedit the setupldr.bin (which stays in i3xx) and replace the 4 occurences of i3xx to correspond to the folder. then instead of changing the setupsourcepath (in txtsetup.sif, which also stays in i3xx) you just replace all instances of i386 to match as well. I know that means you will also add 'programs' and 'etc' to your root but at least it will work correctly.

Edited by Beagz

neither my XP or 2k3 (3 versions) are at the root and mine boot just fine... see attached. i think you didn't edit your setupldr.bin or txtsetup.sif file correctly... i am leaning more to the latter.... Please recheck the guide... Look very closley...

post-34301-1120998044_thumb.jpg

Edited by BrandonS_Mil

I think the problem may be with the actual files for UBCD isn't only one folder deep...meaning, when you edit the XXXX.dat file, you are replacing I386 with whatever four letter folder you made containing the boot files. Now for UBCD, your boot files are actually X:\UBCD\I386...so you can't just replace I386 with UBCD cause that would lead to the root of the UBCD, not the actual system files...make sense? And since I don't think you can replace I386 with anything other than four characters, I think you're screwed.

I can understand the want to organize, but your best bet would be to dump the contents of the UBCD dir into the root of your CD, and then edit the appropriate boot loader to reflect that...

I don't think so.... if you look at ly picture above of my dvd layout... it will work just fine....

What you need to focus on is.... did you get the txtsetup.sif file fixed with the "FULL" path to you folder... is your dat file set correctly

• 2 weeks later...
I think the problem may be with the actual files for UBCD isn't only one folder deep...meaning, when you edit the XXXX.dat file, you are replacing I386 with whatever four letter folder you made containing the boot files. Now for UBCD, your boot files are actually X:\UBCD\I386...so you can't just replace I386 with UBCD cause that would lead to the root of the UBCD, not the actual system files...make sense? And since I don't think you can replace I386 with anything other than four characters, I think you're screwed.

I can understand the want to organize, but your best bet would be to dump the contents of the UBCD dir into the root of your CD, and then edit the appropriate boot loader to reflect that...

Thanx for the tip, but this is something I could have already done, without asking anyone....and there would be no need of this post, I fully understand the reason it dosent work, but what I really want to know about was the possibility of a boot loader like the boot loaders we have for XP,2000 to run the UBCDWIN from a specific directory as shown in myfolder Hierarchy for the sake of proper organization on a CD.

I don't think so.... if you look at ly picture above of my dvd layout... it will work just fine....

What you need to focus on is.... did you get the txtsetup.sif file fixed with the "FULL" path to you folder... is your dat file set correctly

I already tried hexing the bootloader to point to <UBCD> and also changed the setupsource path in txtsetup.sif, that dosent solve the problem, it still asks for the files from the source to be present, which are there as per the UBCD layout.

Need something else to fix this sort of problem