Issue's with first reboot after install

I'm having a couple of teething problems with setting up my unattended install. At first when it rebooted it was setting the screen resolution and prompting me if this was alright and wanting me to confirm I could see the text, so far so good. Now its stopped doing this and instead when it eventually logs in its in 640x480 mode. I'm using VMWare4 at the moment to test the image and I've even tried using the process of adding the VMware drivers but this hasn't made any difference and besides I could select 1024x768 b4. My Winnt.sif file does have the correct entry for 1024x768 so I'm at a bit of a loss really.

The other problem is I've found the option to skip the first welcome screen asking if you want to register and do the auto updates but now its stopping at the Welcome login screen.

Where am I going wrong? :unsure:

Compare with ur winnt.sif file

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]    AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

AutomaticUpdates=yes

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

UnattendedSwitch=Yes

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\vga;Drivers\sound;Drivers\max;Drivers\pro;Drivers\vmax;Drivers\via;Drivers\sis;Drivers\lan"   

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

Hibernation = No

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=*

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=193

OemSkipWelcome=1

[iEPopupBlocker]

AllowedSites=www.msfn.org;www.microsoft.com;www.amazon.com

BlockPopups=Yes

FilterLevel=Medium

ShowInformationBar=Yes

[userData]

ProductID=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

FullName="Nepali"

OrgName="Bhulland"

ComputerName=itanium

[Display]

BitsPerPel=24

Xresolution=800

YResolution=600

Vrefresh=75

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=977

Dialing=Tone

AreaCode=061

LongDistanceAccess="15113"

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=workgroup

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]

msmsgs=off

AccessOpt=off

msnexplr=off

zonegames=off

Media_clips=off

Dialer=off

Fax=off

Hypertrm=off

Media_utopia=off

Mousepoint=off

Media_clips=off

Templates=off

TerminalServer=off

Clipbook=off

Deskpaper=off

Home_Page=http://www.google.com.np

[shell]

DefaultStartPanelOff=No

CustomDefaultThemeFile="%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\OpusOS\OpusOS.msstyles"

[WindowsFirewall]

Profiles = WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]

Mode = 0

[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\install\run.cmd

Check this for the problem

For display

for welcome screen,

check this

This will definately solve ur problem

Hi,

I've checked my winnt.sif and its spot on with the only exception being I've not specified a refresh rate on the display settings thinking that it would be better to leave this out to default it to whatever. Would that cause it to fail?

My unattended and guiunattended are both the same so I've no idea whats happening there then.

I'll try adding a refresh rate to see if that helps on the display settings.

Cheers

Well the refresh addition didn't make a difference still boots in 640x480 mode but I've managed to get the auto logon working by adding a cmd file to the cmdlines.txt that merged the autologon registry tweak and this has done the trick. Just need to sort the resolution problem and we're cooking on gas :)

I've managed to get the auto logon working by adding a cmd file to the cmdlines.txt that merged the autologon registry tweak and this has done the trick

What will u do if u create new user

autologon reg tweak will automatically logon to ur previous account, not in new account

so be sure

@ jase4772

I noticed you said VMWare 4 to test your image in your first post ..

Have you actually tried your image on real physical hardware as well ?

The reason I'm asking is , I had similar probs with VMWare 5 when testing my UA XP install. The thing is my install actually worked as it was spose to on real physical hardware.

I was using the same settings as you , 1024x768 @ Default refresh.

My UA at the time had no extra drivers added or intergrated.

Yet when I burnt and installed it on a P3 1.2 with GF2 vid card it would install and at first boot screen it would be 1024x768 @ Default hz without any windows nag or having to change settings.

@ Nepali

Yep I thought that was the prob with VMWare 5 for me , but it didn't matter if I ran VMWare @ Fullscreen or not , still 640x480 window nag on install of UA in VMWare for me.

Doesn't matter if I run my real desktop at 1024x768 or 1600x1200 (that my default resolution on my pc) I still get 640x480 on UA first boot in VMWare.

I don't find it a prob as I now have come to expect this when I test my images in VMWare.

Cheers

I'm pretty close to testing this install on a live system so I guess I'll see what happens there. I'm hoping I have more luck that before as the last time I did a live test I'd used nLite to create my disc and on first reboot after the very first install process it blue screened :(

@ Nepali - I won't be creating any extra users thankfully as this cd will be used by me alone. Worse case I'll know what to remove if I want a logon screen in the future.

Thanks for your help people, the moral of the story - don't rely on VMware as helpful as it is :)

Success!! A live install worked a treat and the res changed to what I wanted. Unfortunately I had added autopartition and it decided to leave the existing W2K install. Not to fear one quick tweak later and tis removed

Well after 2 days of solid work I've now got my install with probably 99% of the things I like tweaked.

Here's my configs for anyone to check out and use.

:thumbup

autologon.reg

qlb.reg

regtweaks.reg

winnt.sif

cmdlines.txt

accounts.cmd

cleanup.cmd

RunOnceEx.cmd

Edited by jase4772