XP SP2 Network Install RunOnceEx Problems

Hi All,

First I would like to say thanks for all the great advice that I have found searching the site.

I have a fully working network install of XP SP 2 + Office 2003 SP 1 + 6 other Apps all running silent via batch files and has been fully load tested clean installing 40 PC's in on shot, so thanks for that.

My problem is I am in the process of moving away from batch files to the RunOnceEx method but everytim I run the install it seem that the RunOnceEx just is not working.

I have been over the RunOnceEx setup tut at http://unattended several times but still no joy.

As this is a network install the $OEM$ folder resides within the I386 folder and all that I put into is copied to the correct locations is there something that I am missing.

I have even put a PAUSE in the RunOnceEx file to try and hold it for debugging but as that is not coming up and there are no registry entries once Windows loads I am happy to say it just is not running.

Any help would be great.

Regards,

Ozzie :no:

[EDIT]

This is the cmdlines.txt which is in $OEM$

[COMMANDS]
"RunOnceEx.cmd"

This is the RunOnceEx which is also in $OEM$

@echo off

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Drives and Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /VE /D "Copy I386 Folder" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\1.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\002 /VE /D "Copy Programs Folder" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\002 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\2.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\003 /VE /D "Creating Second Drive" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\003 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\3.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Adobe Reader 7" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\programs\AdobeReader7\setup.exe /S /qb-" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "Microsoft Office 2003" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\programs\Office11\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=C:\Install\programs\Office11\setup_office.MST /qb-" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\015 /VE /D "Microsoft Visio 2003" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\015 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\programs\Visio\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=setup_visio.MST /qb-" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /VE /D "MccAffee Anti Virus" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\020 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\programs\McAffeeVirusScan\Setup.exe /qb REBOOT=Suppress" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\025 /VE /D "Importing Registry Tweaks" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\XPNEW.reg" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\030 /VE /D "Cleaning Up and Rebooting" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\030 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\cleanup.cmd" /f

Pause

This is the file structure

WINXPSP2 <-- Root of share
             |_ I386
                      |_$OEM$
                               |_cmdlines.txt
                               |_RunOnceEx.cmd
                               |_$$
                               |_$1
                                    |_install
                                          |_ Programs

Edited by opsoftware

The reason you are having problems is cmdlines.txt is stored in the $OEM$ folder and it is executed after XP is installed. Since you have the $OEM$ folder within the i386 folder, it will not find it as XP is looking for it on the root folder with i386.

The $OEM$ folders should not reside in your i386 folder. It should reside next to the i386 folder.

You should have a shared folder mapped on the network

For example

On your server, you can store your files in D:

d:\XPCD\i386

d:\XPCD\$OEM$

etc.

then map x: to d:\XPCD

Once you move the $OEM$ folder, it should solve your problem

@Gee

Thanks for the pointer but I already moved the $OEM$ folder to the root along side the I386 folder but still had the same effect but in addition NONE of the the required folders i.e. the install folder was copied to the root of c:\

Regards,

Ozzie

Keep the structure the way you currently have it. So the $OEM$ folder should contain all the sub folders. Just make sure that it is next to the i386 folder.

The files in $OEM$\$1 are copied to the root of the install drive. If you just copied the $OEM$ folder and it is missing the $1, then XP will not find the files.

Edited by Gee

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Ozzie (and others),

first I must agree with everyone: this site is much, much more helpfull than Microsoft's pages regarding this subjest.

However, I'm facing the same problems as Ozzie. Like him, I've tried many, many things. It could be that we are the only two idiots on the planet, it might also be that something else is wrong.

In the various forums and manuals regarding this subject, I noticed a few things:

1) there doesn't seem to be concensus on the location of the $OEM$-files. MFSN says it should be put in the root-directory.

However, Microsoft dictates they should be put in the I386-directory of the Windows-XP disc.

(http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prbc_cai_pudt.asp)

2) apparently there is also confusion about the naming of the cmdlines-file. Microsoft says "cmdlines.TXT", some fora say it should be "cmdlines.CMD".

Anyway, I've tried all possible combinations, but the cmdlines-file never executes.

Like Ozzie, I'm pretty sure that basic mistakes like "OemPreinstall=No" etc. are by now corrected.

Does anyone have a clue?

Kind regards,

Reinoud (NL)

For a network install (ie. you run winnt32.exe or winnt.exe to start the install) the $oem$ folder should be inside the i386 folder.

Post your winnt.sif if you still cant get it to work.

[Data]
   AutoPartition=1
   MsDosInitiated="0"
   UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended
   OemSkipEula=Yes
   OemPreinstall=Yes
   DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
   TargetPath=\Windows
    DisableDynamicUpdates=Yes  ; Don't go get updates from Internet during install
    Hibernation=No  ; Disable hibernation
   WaitForReboot=NO  ; Yes=Wait 15seconds after guimode setup to reboot
   UnattendSwitch=Yes  ; Set to yes during winnt installation to skip welcome

[GuiUnattended]
   OEMSkipRegional=1  ; Indicates Regional info GUI to be skipped in setup
   TimeZone="235"  ; Sets Timezone 235=Japan
   OemSkipWelcome=1  ; Used to skip welcome screens in GUI setup
;    ProfilesDir=""  ; Allows to change default location of profiles
   AutoLogon="Yes"  ; Indicates that system should autologon after reboot
   AutoLogonCount=2  ; Number of times to auto logon
   AdminPassword=xxxx  ; Local administrator password
;    ProfilesDir = "%SYSTEMROOT%\Profiles"

[Identification]
  JoinDomain=DOMAIN
;   MachineObjectOU= "OU=Workstations, dc=domain, dc=co, dc=jp"
  DomainAdmin=DOMAIN\Administrator
  DomainAdminPassword=xxxx

[UserData]
  ComputerName=SetupTest01
  FullName="Department"
  OrgName="Company"
   ProductID=....

[Display]
   BitsPerPel=16  ; Number of colors in display
   Xresolution=1024  ; X resolution typically 1024
   YResolution=768  ; Y resolution typically 768
   Vrefresh=60  ; Vertical refresh rate

[OEMBootFiles]
; This section is used to specify custom HALs, and also maps to the Mass Storage Device section

[OsChooser]
; Used by RIS Clients Only

[TapiLocation]
   AreaCode=03    ; Area Code for modem
   CountryCode=81  ; Country code for modem 1=USA
   Dialing=Tone  ; Indicates tone or pulse dialing for modem
   LongDistanceAccess=0  ; Specifies number to dial for outside line

[Shell]
DefaultStartPanelOff=Yes  ; No = use XP start panel, Yes= Use classic windows with icons on desktop
DefaultThemesOff=Yes  ; No means use XP Themes Yes means us Windows Classic themes
;CustomDefaultThemeFile=c:\winnt\Resources\Themes\Mytheme.theme; Used to specify a different default theme. Use to set Screen Saver and wallpaper

[SystemFileProtection]
;SFCDllCacheDir=%SYSTEMROOT%\%WINDIR%\System32\Dllcache; Location of folder used by Windows File Protection
;SFCShowProgress=1  ; Display progress meter during scans
;SFCQuota=0x80    ; Size of DLL Cache in MB

[SystemRestore]
CheckpointCalendarFrequency=3  ; Number of days for Auto System Checkpoints or restore points created
CheckpointSessionFrequency=10  ; Number of hours after which checkpoint is created
MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk=5  ; Max % of hard disk to user for system restore data store
RestorePointLife=30  ; Max Age  in days before a restore point is purged from database