Will DVD's actually play in the mce shell?

Will DVD's actually play in the nedia center shell (as opposed to media player, etc)? Every time I've tried, it crashes the media center shell. I've tried several codecs (like nvdvd decoder 1.0, nvdvd 2.55, dvd xpack, etc). I've tried a multitude of video cards (like 9800 pro) all with the same results.

Any ideas, or will the mce shell not work?

tia

aj

Which NVDVD decoder, the 1.0 or the player 2.55?

I have never got it to play. Seems like I would get a retangular black box on the screen and a mce type error. Let me know which decoder and I'll try it today and give the exact details and maybe a screenie (if that's possible from the shell).

I was just curious what the interface would look like.

Another related question... Is there a dvd codec that can be installed unattended so that dvd's will play in the media player 10.

When I used to use autopatcher, it would install a codec and then when I'd try to install Xpack, i would get another error saying that there was already a codec installed and to remove it first. (which I never had an idea of how to do). To work around that, I'd install windvd 6, then install the xpack and remove windvd 6.

thanks again,

Jim

edit...

The codec autopatcher installed was dvdpack.msi based on Power DVD and it has switches to install unattended. However, it doesn't work w/MP10. I also d/l'd the NVIDIA Codec trial and it did work in the shell with an Nvidia card. I thought I'd tried it w/ nvidia cards before though. I know the last time I tried the 1.0 version decoder, it was with a non compliant video card. I've been trying to find something that would work (in the mce shell) since MCE's inception. I guess I answered my own questions.

Edited by aspenjim