Wat is the Script use in *.sys ?

xtremee

Hi everybody,

I wanna to know wat is the Script use in .sys files

I have also a prob this prob is When i edit *.sys (like IO.sys) when i replace the strings with the same number of it ( i.e. if i have Windows and i change it to Xtremee it is ok but When i change it to Microsoft there is an error ).

Note :Windows 7no.and Xtreme 7 no. but Microsoft 9 no.

Any ans will be great.

Edited by xtremee

Hi,

i don't know exactly what you want, but note when you are editing binary files the replaced strings must have the same size as the original (or lower).

Normally when you open a Binary file in a Hexeditor and search for the String, you will notice that the String is ended by Hexcode '00'. This is because Strings normally are terminated by Zero in most programming languages. If you want to change the String "Windows" to "ABC" you have to write a '00' to the Position where the 'd' was in the original String.

Was this what you wanted to know?

Egon

Hi,

this depends on the Application/OS-Component that uses the *.sys File. Unter MS-DOS for example there are two widely used *.sys files:

config.sys: Textfile with configuration Informations

io.sys: Part of the Operating System with Binary Informations

There is no File content specification for *.sys Files. They are used in different situations with different content. But most of the time they are Binary Files which contains executable code (for example the *.sys files in your system32 folder on Windows)

For what exactly do you need to know this information? Maybe i can tell you then more.

Bye, Egon

Hi,

the io.sys file is a binary file created as the result of the compilation of an assembler sourcecode file. To add functionality to this file you can do the following:

*) If you just want to edit some strings, edit them in an hexeditor

*) If you want to add more functionality - prepare to have a lot of work you just have to learn/know the x86 assembly language. Decompile it with the tool of your choice (for example IDEA), then build in the functionality you need and compile it again.

If you want to write programs with GUI in DOS you have two options:

1. Access the Video memory directly. If i remember correct it's located at 0xC800 - there should be many information available on the net on how to do this.

2. Get a GUI Library. For example you could use Borland's TurboVision for this.

If you intend to write in assembler, probably your only choice will be (1), if you code in c, prefer (2).

Bye, Egon