Setting the Hardware Abstraction Layer

Folks,

I am looking to set the HAL to be "Standard PC" on an Acer System that i got from a friend. I have tried loading Windows from my own disk but it fails to reboot properly and hangs consistently. After much debugging i traced the fault to the HAL that windows was loading, "ACPI Uniprocessor", wouldn't work.

What i want to achieve is for the system to use the "Standard PC" HAL at all times when loading on this system.

Is there anyway this can be done??

System Specs are

Acer Power SC

Celeron 1GHz

256MB Ram

20GB HDD.

I know its not the best but it will run XP for someone.

Thanks for your help

If you are there, you can use the F5 key during the text mode portion of setup at the beginning. This is not the key for other drivers (F6), but leads you to the another screeen where you can force the loading of any of several different HAL layers.

For unattended I believe you can set it in your Winnt.sif file, but I'd have to check it to be sure as it is not a standard setting. Nevertheless, the setup routine normally detects whether the machine is capable of ACPI function and will load the appropriate HAL. If it is not doing that, maybe a check on a slightly newer BIOS or even one older might help. That machine is new enough to support it.

Edited by DonDamm