question about network install

Hey guys :hello:

The last few days I became very interested in doing a network install for my two computers at home. I modified my unattended so that it should work just great. I now however have two big problems.

I will first explain what I want to do:

I want to use a BART PE cd (with network plug-in) or another network bootdisk to boot the first computer. Then it should connect with a share on the other computer.

This shouldn't be too difficult for a wired network. The problem is that I have a wireless network.

Problem 1:

To protect my wireless network I use WEP protection. In order for the data to pass my accespoint I need to use a WEP-key. In the network bootdisks I mentioned earlier on, there was no option to use a WEP-key. This means that it is not possible to have a wireless connection with WEP protection enabled.

Possible solution: temporarily disable WEP protection (but I would rather not do that)

Question: Is there a network bootdisk that gives you the ability to set a WEP-key?

Problem 2:

One of the WLAN cards in my network (the card with the computer that I want to install on) has driver that are Not WHQL. This brings up the problem that this network adapter can't be found by the BARTPE (with network plug-in) disk.

Possible solution:

1. Change wireless card so that the computer that needs to be installed has WHQL drivers.

2. Buy a new wireless card just to get WHQL drivers :P

Question: Is there a network bootdisk that can work with NON-WHQL drivers?

Edited by erik_demon

Problem 2 is solved. I needed to upgrade my homenetwork to 54Mbit anyway, so I bought a new WLAN card which has WHQL driver :D

Problem 1 still exists. I tried to connect to the share with WEP-key disabled and it worked just great. When it is enabled it doesn't work at all.

Is there anyone who knows a network bootdisk that can handle a WEP-key?