Server

I need to setup my computer as a server to host files for my business. I just need to share one folder which will contain all files for my business. I also need my employees to be able to connect to my computer so they can access, edit, and create files on my computer within the shared folder.

I've been told that I need a static IP and a domain. Is this true? What else do I need to make this work? I know almost nothing about servers so any help would be GREATLY appreciated. :)

How many computers on your network? You do not need static ip or domain to share files on a small network. Just connect them to the network and follow directions in windows help "share a drive or folder on network"

It's only one person for now. Will the above process work since he will be connecting to my PC from his home? He is about 45 minutes away from here so I thought he would have to connect through the internet somehow. Am I on the righ track here?

Yes, you are on the right track. Sorry I didn't realize you were talking about remote connections. You need to read "Virtual Private Network" in windows help, that is what you want to do. You will need to set up your computer at work to "accept incoming connections", then set up the remote computer to "connect to the network at my workplace"

EDIT: BTW, "Server Side" in the forum title means "web servers", not network servers. this post really belongs here...

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=21

Edited by dman

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the help dman.  Aparrently he is getting an "error 800".  It says it cannot establish the VPN connections.  He is behind a router, does this matter?

Apollogize if this is in dman's links, If you are using a firewall/router (and you should :unsure: ), you need to also open the appropriate ports/protocols in your firewall and have them forwarded to your computer. If (God forbid) your computer is connected straight to your high speed net connection, and you have XP, you need to "allow exceptions" for the appropriate ports in "windows firewall".

As for as port forwarding, there's plenty of help on the internet explaining better than I could. But the above is just the gist of it.

edit:

I just reread "he is behind a firewall", in that case, it may be necessary to apply whatever "NAT traversal" patches to get VPN to work.

Edited by JoeMSFN