Default expanding of HDD's not my documents

Whenever i start explorer my documents in the tree list is by default expanded whilst the hardddrives are not, is there a way to reverse this default setting?

also, for some wierd reason my documents is now shown at the bottom of the tree list instead of above the "my computer" icon, why is this? can i change back its position?

I don't know how to do it by default, but what I have is an "Explorer" icon in my QuickLaunch with this at the command:

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n, /e, D:\Temp

I don't know what the /n, /e, does, but the last part (D:\Temp) is basically what you edit to tell it where to start it.

So when I click the icon Explorer pops up and defaults to the previously mentioned location...I've sure there is a way to further hack this into the registry somewhere, but I don't know that part. Good luck!

In short

/n

this switch displayes the "xp look-a-like" roundcornered colorful side-bar, instead of folders bar. If you don't have the xp this switch is pointless, I think ;).

/e

displayes folder bar

/e, D:\foldername

displayes upper level folders and opens to the specified folder

/root, D:\foldername

doesn't show upper level folders, opens to the specified folder

Edited by utooth

• 1 month later...
Whenever i start explorer my documents in the tree list is by default expanded whilst the hardddrives are not, is there a way to reverse this default setting?

When you create your shortcut , try pointing it to "%SystemRoot%\explorer.scf" and not "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe"

Launching explorer.scf (which is a 80byte Windows Explorer Command file with a hidden .scf extension that doesn't show even when "show super hidden" files is set to show) will open windows explorer with %SystemDrive% expanded as opposed to launching explorer.exe that will default to My Documents expanded.

Good Luck

Edit: variables instead of hardpaths , I'm full of bad habbits amongst other things :blushing:

Edited by smashly