issues joining domain

I'm trying to make a unattended install join the domain. This should in theory be a simple task. i've looked for hours on this forum for a clue, but non of the threads seem to help. I've tried everything they suggest. part of my winnt.sif is below, im hopeing someone can help me with it.

[identification]

JoinDomain=myworkingdomain

DomainAdmin=administrator

DomainAdminPassword=mypassword

CreateComputerAccountInDomain = No

DoOldStyleDomainJoin = Yes

it just wont attach itself to the domain. once its booted and i add it to the domain it works great, i dont know what he issue is. any clue?

DoOldStyleDomainJoin is for backwards compatability, like if you have a NT domain. Ok to leave it. What Martin Zugec said, must be FQDN, and your DNS server must be set up correctly, as well as your DHCP server, if you're using one. Also, change CreateComputerAccountInDomain to yes, otherwise it's not going to create a computer account in Active Directory (I'm assuming this is the domain model you're using...?)

computer account is already there. we name all our newly installed computers the same till we know who it is goin to, then we change the name.

its a 2003 domain so i shouldnt have to worry about backwards compatibility

Glad we could help :) So it really was FQDN?

I'm guessing it was a SID conflict, especially if all the computers are the same name prior to joining. There's probably already one PC in the domain with the name all the others are trying to join with, which would explain why it appears to accept the domain joining but bombs after setup is complete and is requiring an admin to intervene and manually join with a different name. Of course, FQDN and DHCP could be a problem as well. I'm interested to see what solved the issue ;)

it was def not a SID conflict. there werent any other computer currently on the network with that name and as soon as i changed to the FQDN it worked great. i def think that was it