Adobe CS2 upgrade unattended from new install?

jbjones

Has anyone out there had any experience or success with getting an Adobe upgrade product to do a silent or unattended install? I haven't been able to figure out how to handle the searching for a previous version.

Is there a way to postpone the search untill the program launch, or maybe a way to point the install program to another folder of the older program on the same install disc?

I once figured out the necessary files for upgrading Photoshop 6 to version 7, but I could never get it to run unnatended. I had to manually tell the installer to search a specific folder.

Any ideas?

Another new quirk. With CS2 I haven't even made it to the upgrade check. The install program insists on having the display at 1024x768 by 16bit. Is this possible to set during the RunOnce installation period? I'm testing on VMware so I don't know if it's just VMware or a limitation of the Windows install.

In the later case is there any way to get CS2 to ignore the minumum specs that it wants?

@jbjones A loooong time ago I used an Adobe Illustrator 10 upgrade package, installing it with AutoIt. The upgrade was satisfied when it found the 450KB os.dat file that I had copied from my full version of AI9 onto the CD. Here's a portion of that v2.64 script to give you an idea:

WinWaitActive, Adobe Illustrator 10 Setup, upgrade installer requires proof
Send, {down 2}
Sleep, 500
Send, {SPACE}
Sleep, 500
Send, !n

Sleep, 500

WinWaitActive, Adobe Illustrator 10 Setup, Search a specific folder
Send, {DOWN}
Sleep, 500
Send, !n

Sleep, 500

IfNotExist, C:\\Files\\setup.exe, Goto, next1
WinWaitActive, Find Product Application Folder, Select folder where the product
Send, C:\\Files\\AI9
Sleep, 500
Send, {ENTER}
GoTo, continue

next1:
IfNotExist, D:\\Files\\setup.exe, Goto, next2
WinWaitActive, Find Product Application Folder, Select folder where the product
Send, D:\\Files\\AI9
Sleep, 500
Send, {ENTER}
GoTo, continue

Etc., etc. I had it searching for the CD as far as the H: drive. Once it found the CD, then the directory path to os.dat was entered. All of this could be accomplished much more easily using AutoIt v3. If you can do it with a keystroke or mouse click, you can do it with AutoIt. :P

Edited by blinkdt

I'm still having trouble getting the installer to ignore the screen resolution which seems to stay at 800x600. 1024 is one of the minimum requirements so it just kicks out of the installer after politely informing me of the reason.

Is staying at 800x600 problem with VMware or do I hae something wrong with my Unattended Windows? I can't seem to get it to go to 1024x768 on it's own.

JBJones