Caching MSI packages in order to do repairs

ponghy

I'm installing MSI packages via "msiexec /i". Everything was OK, but if I try to repair a product in the Add or Remove Programs dialog, Windows Installer shows me a dialog box to find the original MSI package ("Open File" dialog). My question is, how can I install a MSI package and store the needed information on the hard disk to repair -later- an installation WITHOUT the original package (not present)? Is this possible? I think this is called "local caching", but I'm not sure.

I've read the entire documentation on MSDN for the Windows Installer Platform SDK, all the public properties, but I don't find the suitable one :no:

I tried the REINSTALL=ALL property, but didn't work.

Any ideas?

Edited by ponghy

• 2 weeks later...

Most MSI files extract themselves into a sometimes random folder name under

C:\Documents and Settings\%USERFOLDER%\Local Settings\Temp or

The trick is to not let the MSI end before you go out & grab it otherwise it deletes it for good & to know what was in the temp folder before you run the MSI so you know what to look for. I did this when I needed to roll out Adobe 6.0 via a script file and found a folder there named "ENUMIN" with all the stuff I needed to do the rollout.

For Office 2003, this is a new feature available IF you install it a certain way. (Administrative Install Point will not work for this.)

But check out Taking Advantage of a Local Installation Source on how to set this up for Office.

For an Administrative Install Point, (on office or other programs too), it may be possible, maybe not. If you copied the installation source to the HD and install from there, it should work.