formatting partitions after setup

Usually when i install windows manually, i create multiple partitions. I use C for windows, D for applications, etc ... I dont mind partioning the drive manually during setup, but it will only format the partition windows is being installed to. Being that i install applications to a different partition, I need windows to format that partition before automatically installing my programs (for an unattended installation of everything). Is there anyway this can be accomplished ? Sorry if this has been answered before. Thanks in advance .

I would like to know that as well. I always have to format the D:\ once i get in windows.

I have a relative question to add to this thread. Is there a difference from ntfs quick format as compared to normal ntfs format? What is the difference? Thank you too

how about calling a simple format d: /q (or no q if you prefer) before starting your programs installation program using a .cmd file? That way your drive is formatted before you install to it (might require the start /wait command...but I believe it wouldn't...some correct me if I am wrong)

or if you want to be fancy about it, you could do a

for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\format.txt set FDrive=%%i:
format %Fdrive% /q

so that you don't have to define the drive ahead of time, again just make sure the file format.txt (or anything you decide is relevant) be placed in the root of that drive ahead of time

I would like to know that as well. I always have to format the D:\ once i get in windows.

I have a relative question to add to this thread. Is there a difference from ntfs quick format as compared to normal ntfs format? What is the difference? Thank you too

When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors. The scan for bad sectors is responsible for the majority of the time that it takes to format a volume.

If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. Only use this option if your hard disk has been previously formatted and you are sure that your hard disk is not damaged.

If you installed Windows XP on a partition that was formatted by using the Quick format option, you can also check your disk by using the chkdsk /r command after the installation of Windows XP is completed.

from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;302686

in other words, the only real difference is if the disc has chkdsk run on it....(and I believe that the first time you format a drive to a new file system, it can't be run with the /q option....then again I might be having NT4/2k flashbacks)