Windows 2003 file search within a .doc file

Hi,

I have recently built a 2k3 w/sp1 machine and have been trying to use windows file search feature to find a file containing a certain word. After much cursing from not finding it, I realised that by default, Windows search does not look within .doc files.

I dont know if this is because they are binary files or something, but I need to know if I can make Windows search within these files when doing such tasks. I dont want to have to install any software such as M$Word/Word Viewer unless I have to.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

--aaron

Thanks, but is there anyway to enable searching within documents (.doc) without the installation of any tools?

I was hoping more along the lines of that you had to 'register' the file format with windows search or something, or a registry hack to enable it...

I might be clutching at straws here and may have to install another application...

• 3 weeks later...

Found the answer, just in case anyone else has the same problem:

Modify the registry for each file type that you want to search within (e.g. .doc as in the below example) to include a PersistentHandler value.

reg add HKCR\.doc\PersistentHandler /d {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb} /t REG_SZ /f

Will require a restart for the change to become effective.