DVD-R 0bytes!?!? Why

Hummanoid Typhoon

This is my first post here so first things first hi everyone!

Now my problem is interesting.

Okay so I was working on the computer last night and I burned a data dvd with nero. Which worked fine as have all my other dvd's.

(I also installed doom 3, and itunes 4.8 around the same time)

So today I was wanting to burn another dvd, but now it won't burn. If i look at the dvd properties in explorer the size is 0bytes and capacity is 0bytes.

Windows does appear to recognise it is writable as it pops up the what action box which will elt me burn the dvd with nero.. etc.

If i view the disc info in nero it says there is 4.38gb free but when i go to burn it says not enough space on disc!?

Curiously iTunes is cabable of burning to a dvd. So i tried to uninstall that to no avail then went a step further by doing a system restore to a time when i knew the dvd buring had worked again with no success.

The drive itself seems ok because it reads written dvd-r's, Normal DVD's, CD's, CD-R's (wirtes to cd-r just fine)

Any ideas it's driving me mad it makes no sense.

Sorry for the long windidness, i appreciate any input.

Hi,

This could have several reasons for 1 you just have had bad luck with this dvd-r(media) and just try an other.

Also when I get an error during burning or it failed because of a reason, most the time the drives also are inaccessible afterwards and say 0 bytes are free.

Another reason could be that the dvd-r media you used isn't the same as the ones you have used before. For example you used Ridata, but the other one is from Lead Data. Many dvd's have different media tags. And some don’t work on all drives or the drives need a firmware update to use the media. If this is the case try to find the most recent firmware for your DVD writer.

If it isn’t any of the reasons I mentioned before it could be you got unlucky and got a bad batch of dvd-r. Happens quite often with the cheaper dvd’s. If this is the case you could try to put the burn speed as low as possible 1x speed preferable and try to burn 1 gigabyte then 2 gigabyte and so on to see if this goes wel. Hope this helps you.

how can i read the dvd tags?

the itunes burner will burn to all the dvd's even though it shows 0bytes free i think the prob is that most programs ask windows for the cd size instead of checking for themselves thus get the 0bytes and think they can't write.

But i have no idea how to make windows think there is 4.38 gigs instead of 0

Really strange that you can burn with Itunes. In this case I don’t think media tags are the problem. You can check media tags with info pro @ www.dvdinfopro.com. Perhaps you could try to reinstall Nero or try some other burning programs.

Hmmm,

I don’t have any experience with Itunes, but I think it did alter some settings on your computer. Wich’s aren’t removed by an uninstall or even a system restore. I can tell you what I would do but that’s pretty technical. First I would still check with Infopro, or some other Dvd Tag reading program, if it really is the same media as used before. If its not update the firmware.

Other than that try if you can find something useful on this sitehttp://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=30592&seqNum=6&rl=1

Also I would check device manager, Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> device manager and check DVD/cd-rom drives. Is your drive listed here with the correct name, and no errors? If something is wrong here you could try to reinstall the drive.

What version of Nero do you have. Some versions are known to be buggy perhaps updating Nero might help. Or try Burn4free I used it a while without problems and its freeware, you can download it from the link below.

http://www.soft20.com/download-1-3397.html

As last resort I would uninstall Itunes, and then start run, and type regedit. Then I would search(Edit -> Find) on Itunes entries and remove all entries from the registry. Then restart and see if it had any effect. I do have to warn you Registry editing is something for experts only. If you remove the wrong entry you could compromise your whole system.

I hope this will help you out.