C/C++ or JAVA

hi all,

A small thought interms of both "buisness" and "simplicity"... :lol:

I wanna know which will strick the market with more like a bang...will it be C++ or Java!

to make it simpler ...jist me the pros and cons of C/Cpp and Java! :wacko:

regards,

Ootsoo

hello bossesssss,

let me add some more views that made me post this question...

I had a conversation with my friend [both of us are new entrants to this field ] under this topic of cpp or java! :blushing:

he is a management master and he views everything in buisness mode. so he told "cpp" projects are cheaper and also robust. There is no need to get the s/w or jdk bla bla for it..just do it.... :realmad:

but i felt "Java" is so advanced and simpler. Also felt that very cute applications can be done in seconds as there are classes for each and every thing..

Apart from that i too admit that mastering "JAVA" needs a hectic "memory power" apart from "logical skills" of cpp.

Please add a few more flavour for this boss... B)

thanks and regards,

Ootsoo

Java:

Pros-

Portable - will run on any platform with JVM

Managed - garbage collection cleans up dereferenced objects memory

Simple - simple syntax + IDE tools make development much more rapid

Cons -

Slow- All of that code management comes at a price

Requires JVM installed on machine

difficult to gain low-level access to hardware

C++:

Pros-

High Performance- no managed framework, direct access to API functions.

Compiles to native code - no runtime required

Cons:

Must be re-compiled for each platform it is to run on.

More labor-intensive development than Java.

So there is really no "Better" language, it depends on what kind of application you are developing and what platforms it needs to run on. Either way, both will be around for quite some time.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanna know which will strick the market with more like a bang...will it be C++ or Java!

C++. Reasons:

C++ is MUCH older than Java and does not show any signs of disappearing.

C++ results in much more efficient programs. For today's movie-quality computer games, performance is probably the most important factor.

Microsoft decided to innovate and create an "enhanced" (i.e. incompatible) version of Java VM to disrupt the creation platform-independent Java programs. Threats to not include their VM by default (and thereby busting many Java programs) and lawsuits over that have created a lot of uncertainty over the viability of using Java.

Java VM's are plagued with security problems. As a result, Java hasn't lived up to its promise, IMHO.

I recommend new students learn C++ before they try to learn Java, as C++ makes you think about the messy details like object lifetime and ownership - Java lets you get away with being less attentive. I think it's important to learn the hard way first.

BTW, I am vary concerned about C#. Keywords are added to C++ very sparingly. In C#, literally dozens of extra keywords are dumped into the core language. Will C# apps using .NET Framework 2.0 will be able to function with plugins designed for .NET Framework 1.0? Also C# has no multiplatform support at all. And Microsoft pumps out brand new frameworks (MFC, OLE, ActiveX, ATL, .NET, etc..) every couple of years.

I recommend new students learn C++ before they try to learn Java, as C++ makes you think about the messy details like object lifetime and ownership - Java lets you get away with being less attentive. I think it's important to learn the hard way first.

I have to agree with this. The concept of proper memory management is completely lost to Java students, while one of the first things you learn about with C++ is pointers and dynamic memory (those **** seg faults and bus errors... :realmad: ).

Also in Java, the ability to pass by reference is completely lost... something that is very useful in programming. I know a friend of mine had written a program in C that she ultimately had to convert to Java... it went from a nice clean bunch of code to a clunky ugly comglomerate of classes that contained 2 data members and one method... :wacko: