Help ! windows 2k server restart problem

Well, to start, my organization using windows 2000 server on IBM e660 p series server. just recently i noticed something odd with the server that everytimes i try to restart the server (Start Menu > Shutdown > Restart), the reboot process somewhat hung.. the screen is filled with the teal background and only the mouse is moveable...

i've only noticed this problem when i currently updating the server with windows installer 3.1 and one more security patch from microsoft (can't remember what tho..)

it hungs like there's no end to it so the last resort i took was to reset the server via the reset button..

so please anyone help me with this..

This has also happened to me, except on a Windows XP workstation. SOmetimes you can shutdown/restart and other times it just hangs with only the mouse being able to move. Windows Update no longer worked properly either- the error it reported indicated that MSXML 3.0 needed to be reinstalled, but it didn't fix the problem. Luckily I had the option to redo the PC from an image, since there were other network related problems with it that could not be solved any other way. I'm guessing this update isn't an isolated problem. MS even released a patch for the Windows Installer 3.1 a few days after the initial release. You might want to try that if it hasn't been applied.

http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=13094

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

thanks, i had the windows installer 3.1 uninstalled this morning.

it helps fix the problem. i also had noticed that the version installed earlier via the windowsupdate is windows installer 3.1 (v2)

after i removed it, the restart only took a few second and boot to windows in less than one minutes.

so maybe something else went wrong with the update itself tho.

or maybe it is not win2k server compatible ?

it is my nature to investigate this problem to the root. so if someone elses out there came across similiar case, do post it here.

thanks in advance.