Syncronization icon issues

skin2003

I have a problem with in a network witn Windows Xp clients and Windows 2003 servers. Syncronization is enabled, but on some clients i see the syncronization icon for my documents on the desktop, and for some i don't.

The behavious only differs like this.

For those where i can see the syncronization icon, it also displays the information dialog when you logon that the syncronization is taking place.

For those that don't have the sync icon, the files are still syncronized, but it doesn't display the information box about it during logoff.

Any ideas?

Maybe you can disable sync on the ones that do not show the icon and information, and then restart the computer and then re-enable the sync option and restart the computer and see it that gives you the information you are looking for.

Thanks for the tip Firefox,

The problem is also, which i forgot to say and which I found out recently is, that the difference between laptops and desktops here, are handled through GPO's dependant on which OU the client belongs to. The laptops have the syncornization activated and the desktop has not, even though, there are SOME desktops recieving the syncronization icon, and some not.

I also want to change the previous statement that the syncronization is executed for those dekstop which does not have the sync enabled. They are not syncronized, and they are acting as supposed. So to clarify, it is desktops which are not in the OU with the Syncronization GPO activated, which are still syncronized.

I have run into the same thing, but in my case it was on both laptops and desktops. Each group of machines had a different set of files being synchronized and the policy was applied by OU, and also all of them had the My Documents folder redirecting to a synchronized network "home" folder.

On 1 out of 20 computers I would notice that I was having the same problems you described. The only thing I could do was disable offline synchronization and reapply the policies. It then looked normal after that.

Sorry if none of this helps.

Thanks ePatrick for your input.

I would assume that it is MS related in some way then, but I'll try to solve it temporarily with your tips, and send it as a case to MS later. I will update this post with any info that i receive.

It seemed that it was an error in a GPO which I missed, regarding to what groups the GPO should be applied. Instead of only laptops, it was applied to all clients.

Sum: the security filtering was set to authenticated users, instead of the Groups which holds the laptop users.

Strange mistake anyway, cause we have .vbs scripts which creates the groups and link the GPO's on each site, but I guess that's a totally other story.

Thanks

SkIN-oUT