Dominio Server - General Questions

Hi everyone!

I have just started at a company which has an existing web portal for Lotus Notes, and they would like me to do some further development. I managed to figure out Lotus Notes should be running on a domino server, but I am unfamiliar with it and had some questions.

First some background. The existing portal has a log in screen and afterwards users can view their email or choose one of a few other links and that’s really all that’s there.

It sounds like what they would like to do is use the existing security and determine which group a user belongs to. This would be used to decide what links / view a user would see. In addition they would like to tap into some MS SQL databases, generate reports, create a dashboard, etc. I was originally thinking about doing this with PHP as there would be a fair amount of Server Side Scripting, but I dont know if the Domino server supports it.

Does anyone have suggestions about good places to look into, how to tap into the existing security or any general comments? Thanks!