How can I change the IP address using registery

:thumbup All the registery tweaks you have here are great.

I'm creating an unattended Windows XP workstation load. I use a generic ip address and computername. Once I build the workstation, I need to change both the ipaddress and computername. I've figured out how to change the computername, but I have not been able to find out how to change the ip address of a running workstation with minimal user intervention.

I'm creating a script that asks the user one question. Through that I can derive what Ip address and computername they need to be. Again, I've got the computername done via the registery, how can I change the ip address?

Any ideas?

Perhaps have a try with the following vb script:

It only asks for the data and then runs the command

"netsh interface ip set address source=static name="Local Area Connection" addr=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx mask=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gateway=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1"

Set wshshell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

ip = "134.76.210.86"

subnet ="255.255.0.0"

gateway ="134.76.210.254"

'msg = "Want you to set a static IP? "& VbCr &"(If no DHCP is enabled)?"

antwort = MsgBox(msg, vbYesNo + vbQuestion)

if antwort = vbNo then

befehl ="netsh interface ip set address source=dhcp name= "&"""Local Area Connection"""

command = "%COMSPEC% /C " & befehl

resultat = wshshell.Run ( kommando, 1, True )

befehl ="netsh interface ip delete dns name="&"""Local Area Connection""" & " addr=all"

befehl ="netsh interface ip delete wins name="&"""Local Area Connection""" & " addr=all"

WScript.Quit

end if

ip_neu = InputBox("Please enter the IP:","Enter IP number", ip )

subnet_neu = InputBox("Please enter subnetmask:","Enter subnetmask", subnet )

gateway_neu = InputBox("Please enter gateway:","Enter gateway", gateway )

befehl ="netsh interface ip set address source=static name= "&"""Local Area Connection"""&" addr="& ip_neu &" mask="& subnet_neu &" gateway="& gateway_neu & " 1"

If Not resultat = 0 Then

MsgBox ("Changing of IP failed")

End If

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a nice spoofing method. I use my phone number for my mac address.

1. "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}". There are subkeys of 4-digit numbers, which represent particular network adapters (0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, etc.).

2. Find the interface you want by searching for the proper "DriverDesc" key.

3. Edit, or add, the string key "NetworkAddress" (has the data type "REG_SZ") to contain the new MAC address.

4. Disable then re-enable the network interface that you changed (or reboot the system).

Edited by matthewk

@matthewk

Are you sure that would work? Wouldn't the device just reset the MAC on reset? And I was under the assumption that he wanted the IP address changed, which is not the same as the MAC.

@Aegis

I posted that information incase anyone visited this topic for similar information. I am on a LAN; my IP is related to my mac address. With dialup, typically a user will just disconnect and reconnect to change IP address. With the network I am on, I changed my mac address and disabled/reenabled the ethernet connection to change IP address.